Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

This sort of ties in with a recent post of Boak & Bailey's about barmaids in the late 19th century. It seems as if, a couple of decades later, not much had changed.

In particular, the skill of barmaids in handling awkward customers was still much appreciated:

"It is sometimes asked whether barmaids or barmen are the better. As Shakespeare says: "Comparisons are odorous." One can only answer by asking whether men or women are the better, though woman has been described by one of themselves as "only one of Nature's agreeable blunders."

I think that, in a rough house, in a low neighbourhood, or in a very busy house, with a public bar trade mainly, men are usually to be preferred; though quarrelsome and rowdy characters will, usually, respect a woman more.

A really good barmaid will restrain heavy drinkers, and do it tactfully. She will never answer back so as to offend, but be ready with a quick answer, to the point, that must, however, not wound."
"The Art and Practice of Innkeeping" by Alexander Francis Part, published by Heinemann London, 1922, page 216.
The following passage refers to all bar staff, not just barmaids:

"They should never be allowed to drink with customers while behind the bar.

They should be well-dressed and smart, and regard themselves as professionals while there, and so, too, should the proprietor, so long as he is there. The smoking of fags behind the bar, or the existence of dirty, untidy, and unclean conditions, spoil the customer's enjoyment."
"The Art and Practice of Innkeeping" by Alexander Francis Part, published by Heinemann London, 1922, page 216.
I can remember back in the dark days of the 1970s barstaff would sometimes have a fag in their hand. Disgusting, really. Then again, pubs back then were blue with fag smoke most of the day. They really were quite nasty, smelly places. The smoking ban hugely improved the atmosphere inside pubs. It's made them much more pleasant places.

This echoes something Boak & Bailey mentioned about many people having a very low opinion of barmaids. Mostly based around weird sexual fantasies.

"Anyone who is experienced in the Trade has as high an opinion of bar-assistants, especially barmaids, as those who never frequent a bar, have a low one. Have we not the authority of Cardinal York for saying that Queen Anne's grandmother was a tub-woman — the barmaid of that period ? This poor opinion may be due to jealousy, for Barmaids always have beautiful hair, which frequently assumes new tints, like a sunrise.

Some barmaids are too confidential, and show a decided preference for particular customers. These are no good to you as proprietor.

Bar-hands, of either sex, should be pleasant to look at, and dress to make the best of themselves, but beauty does not necessarily pay. Keen powers of expressing sympathy do, especially in listening."
"The Art and Practice of Innkeeping" by Alexander Francis Part, published by Heinemann London, 1922, page 217.
I love the joke about barmaids' hair. It a surprisingly witty book in places. The author has a very dry humour which I appreciate.

More...