Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore crawls 2020

Default Preston v Halifax run off

Here's a summary of the discussion of the suggested venues for our crawl in the north next spring:

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Getting back to the point, any other suggestions apart from Lincoln and Macclesfield?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    North of a line from roughly Aberystwyth to the Wash:-

Burton upon Trent, Newark, Preston, Chesterfield, Beverley, Bolton, Leeds to Todmorden railway (Bradford, Halifax, Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge, Tod'), Halifax, Harrogate, Southport, Stafford.

I'm assuming Lancaster, Darlington, Stockton and Middlesbrough are too difficult travel wise, ditto any places off the rail network.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have done Halifax, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden all by train from Wales with a Camra branch. It was a very good crawl.
    Yes, but a flipping long way from the south - 3 hours plus each way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Surely Tod to Bradford inclusive is too much? I would have chosen just Sowerby Bridge and Hebden Bridge. It might be easier to get a bus between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Wakefield is quite good, as is Preston. I wouldn't bother with Warrington to be honest.
    I don't really know Warrington but have never got the impression there's much there. Wakefield has some great options but are there enough? Considering the size of Preston I'm not sure it's that great. I don't think Wigan's that bad but if Wigan Central was absent then I'd probably write it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Preston is definitely better for a crawl, no idea about Warrington and I don't mind Wigan but I doubt there's enough good pubs. It has 7 in the GBG that are central and several of those are a bit small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    From the options suggested in this thread so far, I like the sound of Preston, Macclesfield, Bradford and (geography permitting) Lincoln.
    Absolutely nobody has provided any arguments for going to Halifax, and yet in the poll it is a tie between Halifax and Preston. In the run off, Halifax has already got three votes and Preston none. Do we know who is voting for Halifax? Is it Vladimir Putin? If so, I will definitely be there. (In previous polls we could see who had cast their votes for which option, but in this one it seems to be hidden. No probs, Vlad.)

Travel information: Preston is on the west coast main line; Halifax is a tough journey from (to take a random example) Bristol; and it's similarly much longer from London to Halifax compared to Preston. (Lancaster was thought to be too far, but is only 15 mins further than Preston; Halifax is a good hour more than Preston.)

Anyway, I've no particular axe to grind, as I've been to Preston twice recently and Halifax not long before, so I don't mind where we go, just so long as everyone is fully informed. So here's a comparison:

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Preston is pretty good, but there's quite a long way between pubs. I was there in August with a crew from Beer and Pubs Forum - see this thread: my post on 13 August has itinerary and walking distances, to save you reading the whole thing. Their suggested lunch stop in the Wellington was pretty awful, despite being in the Good Beer Guide, so in the interest of research I also visited Hogarths (cheap beer but good condition), the Princess Alice, the Wellfield and the Plug & Taps microbar (standing room only at tea time). My idea of the best of Preston based on this visit would be as follows:

Continental
    Old Vic
    Hogarths
    Old Blue Bell
    Guild Ale House
    Moorbrook
    Vinyl Tap
    Market Tap
    Black Horse
    Plug & Taps

Others that may be worth a try: The Orchard, Plau, The Northern Way or even the (no longer Mad) Ferret.
    Of recent reviews of Halifax pubs, these are possibles:

The Grayston Unity
    Kobenhavn
    The Lantern
    Meandering Bear
    Ring o' Bells
    The Royal Oak
    Square Chapel Bar
    The Three Pigeons
    The Upper George
    Victorian Craft Beer Cafe
    Yates's (see also https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAL/1251/yatess-halifax).

(I haven't checked WhatPub for all the others, so I may have missed something.)

• Maybe not much to choose between the two possible venues beer-wise.
    • Halifax is perhaps more compact. (Haven't analysed this - just an impression.)
    • The difference travel-wise may be off-putting for some. (Not me. )
    Come On You Hatters!

Absolutely nobody has provided any arguments for going to Halifax.
    Neither Preston or Halifax is ideal for me. Preston is a big city whereas Halifax is smaller but if I remember rightly, hilly. What really swung Halifax for me is that there should be a new JDW in Leeds by then, I can stay at Bradford Premier Inn and on the Saturday can go to Hebden Beidge for the Hare & Hounds and the Vocation bar. I agree that it is too far for a day out but I assume most people will make a long weekend of it.
    Assuming it's Brum this Autumn (and it should be) I'll be staying in Wolverhampton rather than just doing a day trip.
    I've hot a Preston stay lined up in March but will be travelling elsewhere rather than the city.

Here's a summary of the discussion of the suggested venues for our crawl in the north next spring:

Absolutely nobody has provided any arguments for going to Halifax, and yet in the poll it is a tie between Halifax and Preston. In the run off, Halifax has already got three votes and Preston none. Do we know who is voting for Halifax? Is it Vladimir Putin? If so, I will definitely be there. (In previous polls we could see who had cast their votes for which option, but in this one it seems to be hidden. No probs, Vlad.)

Travel information: Preston is on the west coast main line; Halifax is a tough journey from (to take a random example) Bristol; and it's similarly much longer from London to Halifax compared to Preston. (Lancaster was thought to be too far, but is only 15 mins further than Preston; Halifax is a good hour more than Preston.)
    [*]Maybe not much to choose between the two possible venues beer-wise.
    [*]Halifax is perhaps more compact. (Haven't analysed this - just an impression.)
    [*]The difference travel-wise may be off-putting for some. (Not me. )[/LIST]
    Halifax did do very well as, along with Bradford, it was only first mentioned as a possible part of the "Yorkshire towns" crawl. On my visit there, I liked it a lot, but we only had time to do 6 or 7 pubs before moving on to Hebden Bridge and Todmorden.
    It was a 3+ hour journey for me for a mere 89 miles, but doable.

The only time I have been through Preston was on a coach to Blackpool before they built the Preston bypass! As that was about 60 years ago, it will be all new to me. I am happy with either. Just glad it wasn't Lincoln as the 5 hour multi train journey from Wales is just too much!

In the run off, Halifax has already got three votes and Preston none. Do we know who is voting for Halifax? Is it Vladimir Putin?
    Tied 4-all now.

Tied 4-all now.
    Now 5 each. What happens if it's another draw?

Now 5 each. What happens if it's another draw?
    Penalties!

This Space For Hire

Preston is very easy to get to but Halifax is relying on Northern Rail. However the best Preston pub, the Moorbrook, is slightly out of town. As a former Preston resident I'd recommend there over the fax, but it's nip and tuck from Stockton

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Preston is very easy to get to but Halifax is relying on Northern Rail. However the best Preston pub, the Moorbrook, is slightly out of town. As a former Preston resident I'd recommend there over the fax, but it's nip and tuck from Stockton
    I think you've summed it up. Preston is certainly easier to get to but I've been to Hebden Bridge for a day out even in BR days and that was from Manchester rather than Leeds. I've heard people enthuse more about Halifax than Preston but I don't know either well enough to offer an opinion. .

At this point in time I am unlikely to be going to either due to distance/price, so haven't voted in the two way vote off, I did originally vote for Lincoln which would have been doable in a day .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Preston is very easy to get to ...
    That all depends where you start, Halifax is much easier, quicker and cheaper for me (4 direct trains per hour), I have 1 direct train an hour to Preston unless I go to Manchester on one of TPE's overcrowded boxes and change, making a 6 hour round trip even longer. For me the pub stock in Halifax is better quality and more varied than Preston.