Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore crawls 2020

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'll go along with a northern venue for Spring as long as it doesn't mean a southern venue in Summer.
    But with the Autumn crawl reserved for the 10 year anniversary in Birmingham,then the choice of the North in Spring implies that the Southern venue will be in June/early July as we tend to avoid peak Summer holiday dates for these crawls.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    But with the Autumn crawl reserved for the 10 year anniversary in Birmingham,then the choice of the North in Spring implies that the Southern venue will be in June/early July as we tend to avoid peak Summer holiday dates for these crawls.
    I'm happy to miss out the South!
    I can see why SH has gone for Lincoln this time for similar reasons to the above. Given that it's in the North Eastern sector of the Midlands, if it doesn't get chosen this Spring or Summer then because of Brum it wll get kicked into the long grass of 2021 or beyond. Given that Durham & Newcastle are deemed too far away for a day out (and they are unless you live within easy reach of KX!), it makes sense to spread the North South a bit if you catch my drift.
    BTW, the other remaining JDW is a Lloyds disaster. One of the disadvantages of Lincoln is that the main area around the Cathedral is a trek up a hill from the station but I'm sure there must be buses that can save the day. My two visits other than the JDW one bring back memories of Bateman pubs but I'm sure it must have improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    First Friday in April doesn't work for me however.
    It looks like the CAMRA event will rule it out.

One of the disadvantages of Lincoln is that the main area around the Cathedral is a trek up a hill from the station but I'm sure there must be buses that can save the day.
    There is, this one https://lincolnbus.co.uk/special-services/walk-and-ride

Some of my more infirm friends used it last time we went to Lincoln. A plan is to get the bus up to the top then walk back down via the pubs.

Just a reminder of the last poll: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...tumn-PuG-Crawl
    Last edited by oldboots; 08-12-2019 at 12:37.

I can see why SH has gone for Lincoln this time for similar reasons to the above. Given that it's in the North Eastern sector of the Midlands, if it doesn't get chosen this Spring or Summer then because of Brum it wll get kicked into the long grass of 2021 or beyond. Given that Durham & Newcastle are deemed too far away for a day out (and they are unless you live within easy reach of KX!), it makes sense to spread the North South a bit if you catch my drift.
    Yes, my thinking was that blurring our definition of North in a southerly direction would have that effect. There are still Bateman pubs, but they're not as horrific as you depict them IMHO. See my review of the Dog & Bone, for example (ok, it's more than five years ago now) and I was in the Treaty of Commerce a few weeks ago after a bike ride, and I thought it was as good as ever.

At the top of the hill, the Strugglers and the Victoria have been good for some years now, and there's also the newish BearHeadZ on Eastgate, and the Strait & Narrow further down the imaginitively named Steep Hill. As OB points out, the plan would be to get a bus to the top and let gravity do the rest!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    This will clash with the Camra National AGM in York which a number of Puggers will probably attend.

Lincoln isn't a bad place for a crawl apart from that bloody hill, however it may prove a little difficult for some people to travel to, North /South isn't bad but west to east might be more of a challenge and more expensive.
    West to East as far as Lincoln is a huge challenge. I would support Macclesfield (only three trains!). Chester has good links with direct trains from Leeds, Rochdale, London, Birmingham & Cardiff (but hard to get to from Lincoln!).

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Would be very happy with Lincoln, as had intended to revisit at some point anyway, plus there's now a micropub.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    That definitely was a poll for the Midlands (sorry Norwich) and not the North!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yes, my thinking was that blurring our definition of North in a southerly direction would have that effect. There are still Bateman pubs, but they're not as horrific as you depict them IMHO.
    It's not the pubs that I find horrific with Batemans but specifically their brown beers. I quite like the Salem Porter & Mild and a golden one that I can't remember the name of. It's the XB, XXXB & Rosy Nosey. They all have that unpleasant salty taste. You can add to that the fact that they committed the Cardinal Sin of watering down the XXXB.
    I've no problems with their pubs having found them traditional and enjoyable although I haven't been in one for years now. I'm pretty sure I've been to several of the pubs mentioned. The Strugglers name definitely rings a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    That definitely was a poll for the Midlands (sorry Norwich) and not the North!
    Had Lincoln in it, that was the only point not a veiled attempt at geographygalore.

Come to Yorkshire if you want the North, but obviously not South Yorkshire as its the north Midlands or the north by a half east Midlands or is it northeast by north Midlands?