Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Yeah. We've got to the heast of a pub:its beer engines.

Part seems so have a weird aversion to to certain types of handpulls.

"The beer pulls, which should be of wood, and not the familiar ivory or composition, which is ugly, should not be hidden—because customers think they are being cheated if anything is done out of their view, and sometimes they are right. The sink, in the engine, should be sectioned off, with separate waste pipes to each section to carry off the waste beer, which should not all be put into the mild, porter, or stout, but carefully through a filter into the same cask to which it belongs.

The beer engine should be of the best, with patent drip taps, and, if necessary, a locking bar.

Under the bar-counter will be ranged wash-up bowls, and sinks, and wide shelves for bottled beers.

If the beer sale is large, it is better to have the engine in two groups of four pulls each, than a larger number of pulls together, to avoid congestion.

One set of pulls should be towards the centre of the counter.

If the conditions allow of it, draw beer direct from the wood, but this is seldom possible, owing to the difficulty of securing the right temperature in a bar. Beer, and particularly the beers of Burton, is far better so drawn.

At the back of the bar, shelves, some nine inches deep, are required, ranged at intervals, and these are best made of thick plate glass.

I do not recommend the use of urns for any class of trade, unless very large, but inverted bottles, with Irwin or Optic measures, which are automatically filled, and knave and fool-proof, as regards accurate measure."
"The Art and Practice of Innkeeping" by Alexander Francis Part, published by Heinemann London, 1922, page 209.
This section is so important. Hard evidence that slops were retutrned to barrels. Stuff like this is rare.

Interesting that the recommendation is not to return all slops to the Mild, Porter or Stout. A sure indication that this is what many publicans did. It's making me think that my crazy theory about Mild going dark because of the lack of cheap dark draught beers when Porter disappeared, is perhaps not so crazy.

I wonder why Burton beer was better served by gravity? No idea, myself.

More...