Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 10th November 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

BOTW goes to Tiny Rebel Stay Puft in near perfect condition (NBSS 4.5) in Ye Olde Mitre
    I was introduced to Ye Olde Mitre by a Geordie bloke when I first started working in Holborn in 1975. The attraction then was that it was hard to find not the fact it was Ind Coope. My first introduction to Tiny Rebel was in Forest Hill when the Cwtch was fantastic. It was nowhere near as hoppy on the last day of the local Rose & Crown beer festival but I may have caught the end of the cask. I've a stay in Cardiff lined up so look forward to visiting their outlet there and Newport on the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    What did you make of the Saddle Tank? I'd put it on a par with Doom Bore. Marston's seem to have completely lost the plot. I also have severe doubts about Purity. Their UBU in the local Rose & Crown was a classic example of a boring brown beer to avoid. The only one of their beers I've liked is a strong dark one of which I've forgotten the name.
    The Saddle Tank was at best less than average in the interest stakes,finding myself in a Marstons pub I had the other choice of Pedigree(which I have never liked) or the two Hobgoblins (normal and Gold), What did surprise me was I was charged £3.75 for the pint and a packet of crisps,It turns out all cask was £2.75 on Mondays ,albeit only Marstons beers available.Don't know the dark Purity beer, unless its the keg only 5.8% Saddle Black.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

What did you make of the Saddle Tank? I'd put it on a par with Doom Bore. Marston's seem to have completely lost the plot. I also have severe doubts about Purity. Their UBU in the local Rose & Crown was a classic example of a boring brown beer to avoid. The only one of their beers I've liked is a strong dark one of which I've forgotten the name.
    Agree on UBU. The dark one is Saddle Black which was very good on cask when I found it some years ago. Mad Goose is never a bad fall back but Gold has been taken off in my local due to inconsistent quality despite being on there for many years, having a dedicated following and a personal visit from the brewer.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

BOTW Parkway Brewing Black Widow. Dark and 4.9% but fairly unmemorable aside from being the only cask beer of the week.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    BOTW Parkway Brewing Black Widow. Dark and 4.9% but fairly unmemorable...
    I've tried three of their beers so far this year (Mad Dog, Norwegian Blue, Resolution) and found them all a bit functional. Just one of those breweries, I suspect.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Agree on UBU. Gold has been taken off in my local due to inconsistent quality
    Interesting , Gold was a regular at my local a year or so ago , and was dispensed with for the same quality inconsistency issues.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Don't know the dark Purity beer, unless its the keg only 5.8% Saddle Black.
    It was Saddle Black but I noted the abv as 5.1%. It was probably in a Midlands JDW possibly during the October festival. I can't think why Purity would do any keg as apart from that one I've found their beers quite dull.

Edit: Thanks to TP for confirming it isn't just me!!
    Last edited by Aqualung; 12-11-2019 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I've tried three of their beers so far this year (Mad Dog, Norwegian Blue, Resolution) and found them all a bit functional. Just one of those breweries, I suspect.
    Likewise,I was underwhelmed by Big Ben's APA. I quite often see their beers in Kent micros.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Useful to know. It was the first time I've seen them but would't be making an effort to seek them out.

It was Saddle Black but I noted the abv as 5.1%. It was probably in a Midlands JDW possibly during the October festival. I can't think why Purity would do any keg as apart from that one I've found their beers quite dull.

Edit: Thanks to TP for confirming it isn't just me!!
    The cask version I had was 5.1% at the Coal Hole but as mentioned some years ago.

I've had the Longhorn IPA on keg in the summer when there was little else going and it was cold and wet and reasonably drinkable. Not sure if they do it on cask even.