Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vat

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

6/7 pence rounded up to 10p no doubt.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    And no doubt bunged on in time for New Year, "Because till techie will be very busy on 3rd Jan"

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    And no doubt bunged on in time for New Year, "Because till techie will be very busy on 3rd Jan"
    I think most Pubs will probably put up prices in the run up too Christmas too catch the busy period and make some extra dosh.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Unfortunately, my money is on it being rounded up to 20p in my local...

Glass Half Full

I've intentionally gone to a mid-point in here for the last duty rise meaning we're using coppers for a few months, so I'll be rounding up to the nearest 5p after it's covered, i.e. 2.87 becomes 2.95, and so on. Unfortunately, the government, brewers, and government some more have priced the local in to a luxury marketplace - as much as we'd love to be £2.00 a pint and selling 4* as many, it just can't happen any more.

We have an element of customers that understand, and an element about the same size that think we should run the pub as a charity, not draw a wage as we have a roof over our heads, and that's all we need - you'd think from the way people sometimes go on that we're the ones milking them dry, yet on the other hand, the same people would whinge (have whinged this week) when prices are not rounded up and mean they get the dreaded copper cash in their change.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Unfortunately, my money is on it being rounded up to 20p in my local...
    Yes I think you right there Its already £3.80 in my local. I went in the John Baird last Saturday and had a Pint of Adnams Broadside which was not in best condition but it was £3.80 a Pint so your guaranteed it will go over the four pound mark by the new year.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ptg View Post
    We have an element of customers that understand, and an element about the same size that think we should run the pub as a charity, not draw a wage as we have a roof over our heads, and that's all we need - you'd think from the way people sometimes go on that we're the ones milking them dry, yet on the other hand, the same people would whinge (have whinged this week) when prices are not rounded up and mean they get the dreaded copper cash in their change.
    Over the last couple of years, my local has gone from being 10-20p a pint cheaper than the pub at the other end of the village to 20-30p a pint more - all blamed on 'the government', 'the pubco', 'the suppliers', BP (well, not quite, but you get the drift...).

Funnily enough, the other place is owned by the same pubco and pays the same duty to the same government (but keeps increases close to the published values, rather than 2-3 times the rate in the local's case).

Glass Half Full

Is one managed, and one a tennancy, or are they both on the same arm of the pubco?

As a guide on prices, we pay in the region of 30% more than the srp on beers, and the managed side of most pubcos pay 20% discounted from the SRP (not sure with our mob, becuase i've never been on the managed side of Youngs), so whilst on the outside two pubs can appear to be scissor sisters, on the backbone, they can be connected to two very different parts of the life support. The other element is how much of a living tenants want to make - I have my fingers in a lot of other pies, and don't take a lot from the pub, and we're already allegedly one of the most expensive pubs in the area - god help if I had to take a "respectable" salary.

Quote Originally Posted by ptg View Post
    Is one managed, and one a tennancy, or are they both on the same arm of the pubco?

As a guide on prices, we pay in the region of 30% more than the srp on beers, and the managed side of most pubcos pay 20% discounted from the SRP (not sure with our mob, becuase i've never been on the managed side of Youngs), so whilst on the outside two pubs can appear to be scissor sisters, on the backbone, they can be connected to two very different parts of the life support. The other element is how much of a living tenants want to make - I have my fingers in a lot of other pies, and don't take a lot from the pub, and we're already allegedly one of the most expensive pubs in the area - god help if I had to take a "respectable" salary.
    Both are Enterprise tennancies, both do mid-market food and both have had the same landlords for many years.