Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photograghs that reflect a pub experience

Default Photograghs that reflect a pub experience

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...o-contributors
    Following on from the discussion about submitting poor photos to Pubs Galore, has anyone ever been tempted to submit photos of a pub, depending on what kind of experience they have had there? For example few weeks ago, I experienced one of the most uncomfortable half hours of my life, trying to photograph a pub. I won't go into too many details, but it was the landlord's attitude towards me photographing the pub, that left a bitter taste! That and the fact, that there was not one decent ale available! Don't get me wrong, I was polite to the landlord, but nothing I said made any difference. I was sorely tempted to post a really poor photo of the pub, but didn't.
    Last edited by Lady Grey; 23-09-2019 at 11:29.

Just Missed the Round

To be honest I tend to try and keep it quick and discreet when taking photos, to avoid the potential for the kind of experience referred to above.

I am not sure if it was on this site or elsewhere, but I have heard of some contributors who ask the landlord first and offer to put a small contribution in the charity pot which has helped prevent a potentially hostile response. That approach probably works better when the pub is quiet and you want to take a lot of interior shots.

I'm not sure I would deliberately submit a poor photo of a pub because of a bad experience, however it is equally possible that if you felt uncomfortable and rushed then your photo may not have turned out as well as you hoped, so it could be an unintended consequence. That kind of experience is probably best summed up in the review though, in my opinion (and watch you don't get accused of "having a rant" while you're at it).

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    To be honest I tend to try and keep it quick and discreet when taking photos, to avoid the potential for the kind of experience referred to above.

I am not sure if it was on this site or elsewhere, but I have heard of some contributors who ask the landlord first and offer to put a small contribution in the charity pot which has helped prevent a potentially hostile response. That approach probably works better when the pub is quiet and you want to take a lot of interior shots.

I'm not sure I would deliberately submit a poor photo of a pub because of a bad experience, however it is equally possible that if you felt uncomfortable and rushed then your photo may not have turned out as well as you hoped, so it could be an unintended consequence. That kind of experience is probably best summed up in the review though, in my opinion (and watch you don't get accused of "having a rant" while you're at it).
    Good point. I really don't like it when people assume that they can just take a photo and include me in the picture; it doesn't surprise me one bit if landlords get shirty.

I took a photo of an enormous mouse to reflect my experience of drinking in The Prince Alfred the other day, with huge glowing satanic eyes - it hasn't been approved yet.

This Space For Hire

If you are taking interior pictures you should ask permission.There are a couple of Camra pub tickers who on their blog publish pictures of pub goers in the background on the pretext that they are taking pictures of their pint.Not right imo.

Regarding the photos that I took of the pub in question. I was on the oppisite side of the road, when I started taking photos, there was no one in sight. Suddenly a man appeared, I thought he was going to drive off in his car, instead he went back inside the pub. My mistake was to go into the pub after I had finished taking photos. I sometimes buy a drink out of courtesy. Unfortunately the man behind the bar, was the chap outside that spotted me. He was not in a good mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Regarding the photos that I took of the pub in question. I was on the oppisite side of the road, when I started taking photos, there was no one in sight. Suddenly a man appeared, I thought he was going to drive off in his car, instead he went back inside the pub. My mistake was to go into the pub after I had finished taking photos. I sometimes buy a drink out of courtesy. Unfortunately the man behind the bar, was the chap outside that spotted me. He was not in a good mood!
    I was told that if you are outside a premises in a public place, you are entitled to take any picture. In spite of that, I have been challenged by landlords three times in the Wrexham area. The first time, I went into the pub afterwards and the landlord asked why I was taking a picture of his pub. I said it was a hobby but he was not pleased.
    I read later in a newspaper that he had been fined for playing music without a licence. I guess he thought I was a reporter snooping around. Another time I was taking an internal picture of a pub. The landlord (who was showing big screen football) asked if I was from Sky TV. I laughed and said no. He kept insisting which told me his TV was not legal. He asked me to delete my picture. I deleted one of the three! The third landlord just had a moan for an unknown reason after my outside picture.

This Space For Hire

My mate gets grief when I take pictures on entry and he's at the bar while I'm photographing and now suggests I take them on exit as punters ask awkward questions while I look like a weirdo and landlords/landlady's think the pub is about to be marketed for sale. My general answer is I take a picture of all pubs I go in to remember where I've been for a pint. Water off a ducks back as generally never going back to most places I take a picture of or if I do I don't take a new picture unless it's had a paint job.

He also tries to say I take pictures for a website (PuG) and have X amount of photos, never close to actual amount but he tries. I then arrive and correct the figure and diffuse the red dot on my chest. Best one was a H&S nightmare I took a picture of in a pub car park purely for my intrigue and amusement and the landlord was hoping I wouldn't post the picture online.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 23-09-2019 at 22:43.

I was once accused of photographing the alarm on the wall of the pub, preparatory to returning later for a spot of burglery!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I was once accused of photographing the alarm on the wall of the pub, preparatory to returning later for a spot of burglery!
    Similar angle here, I got a bit of gyp for photgraphing the inside of one place, though to be fair a load of stuff inside was quite valuable and they'd had attempted burglaries recently. Luckily I could show them the PuG website and all was resolved amicably

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

See my review of this to read about the day I was accused of being the Papparazzi.