Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photograghs that reflect a pub experience

Did you get away with it?
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Did you get away with it?
    Yes, it was all good natured and became the day's joke. There had been a lock in the night before!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I was told that if you are outside a premises in a public place, you are entitled to take any picture. In spite of that, I have been challenged by landlords three times in the Wrexham area. The first time, I went into the pub afterwards and the landlord asked why I was taking a picture of his pub. I said it was a hobby but he was not pleased.
    I read later in a newspaper that he had been fined for playing music without a licence. I guess he thought I was a reporter snooping around. Another time I was taking an internal picture of a pub. The landlord (who was showing big screen football) asked if I was from Sky TV. I laughed and said no. He kept insisting which told me his TV was not legal. He asked me to delete my picture. I deleted one of the three! The third landlord just had a moan for an unknown reason after my outside picture.
    Indeed. All of these apply.

Primarily, a person is quite entitled to take a photo of anything from a public place, without fear of molestation.
    A pub's interior is private property and in the main, I don't take interior photos as it's just not good manners to do so without permission, particularly if pics are going to include images of customers. Some just don't want their privacy invaded by endless group photos, selfies and the like; I just get sick of the group photo binges due to the constant flashbulbs going off, particularly in one instance when a person produced a Canon EOS 1D with a flashgun with a greater output than a lighthouse and began firing this thing off like a machinegun.
    Of course there's the issue that some may think we are casing the joint and are recording valuables or security weaknesses but in the case of people, some might not want photographing because they may think that we are the Authorities keeping tabs on suspected criminals or dole dodgers.
    Others may think that we are acting on behalf of prospective property developers. I remember around 2004 I was photographing some rather rundown high-rise buildings near The Wenlock as part of a project to document architecture of the period. I was accosted by some locals and asked when Islington council was going to undertake much-needed repairs. When I told them that I didn't work for the council and was just photographing the particular style of architecture, they though I must be mad.
    If I plan on visiting a pub and taking an exterior photo, the simple way of avoiding any potential problem is to visit the pub first and then photograph it on leaving.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I was once accused of photographing the alarm on the wall of the pub, preparatory to returning later for a spot of burglery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Similar angle here, I got a bit of gyp for photgraphing the inside of one place, though to be fair a load of stuff inside was quite valuable and they'd had attempted burglaries recently. Luckily I could show them the PuG website and all was resolved amicably
    You ain't seen pub valuables until you've drunk in The Gunton Arms - ££££££££.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    If I plan on visiting a pub and taking an exterior photo, the simple way of avoiding any potential problem is to visit the pub first and then photograph it on leaving.
    Tip of the day here folks, and something I tend to do myself.

You can't get a funny look once you've left the building!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Tip of the day here folks, and something I tend to do myself.

Indeed. Pointing a camera at a pub - and possibly some suspect types having a fag outside - could be a recipe for trouble if we then go marching in; questions may well be asked and not always politely either.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Indeed. Pointing a camera at a pub - and possibly some suspect types having a fag outside - could be a recipe for trouble if we then go marching in; questions may well be asked and not always politely either.
    Oh dear, I recall Mrs Ale having a similar experience whilst taking a picture of a pub in Stratford on Avon. After taking the photo from across the road, we heard a string of expletives from a fag smoker outside the pub who appeared out of nowhere. We hadn't intended going in anyway. Needless to say, we made a hasty exit...
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 26-09-2019 at 21:00.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Although they can try to chase you down in a car, which happened to me once (although thankfully my route to the next stop involved a short length of footpath that confounded the pursuers...) but what on earth had they done to be worried about to provoke that extreme reaction?

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Although they can try to chase you down in a car, which happened to me once (although thankfully my route to the next stop involved a short length of footpath that confounded the pursuers...) but what on earth had they done to be worried about to provoke that extreme reaction?
    Bloody hell, who'd have thought taking some pub photos would be such a dangerous business?

I'm guessing you must have disturbed some local drug dealers or something to get that kind of reaction.

There was also another occasion on an early Pubs Galore crawl (or possibly a day trip involving a few Pubs Galore members) where an irate landlord came chasing out of their premises and accosted us when we were by then some distance away. Something about a dispute with the pubco was the reason, if I recall, and he thought we were spying on him.