Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I found this nugget on the website of the Fox and Hounds in West Burton:

The Yorkshire Dales have traditionally been a stronghold for the beers of John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, and is still today the choice of the born and bred local population. John Smiths Cask Bitter is always resident on our bar...Discuss.
    A cynical rewrite:

a) The farmhands have been drinking the stuff for donkeys years. It's a bland McBeer which they can drink a lot of before they get pissed.
    b) We've been selling it for so long because we can't be bothered to research what else is being brewed out there.
    c) Financial incentives from the brewery mean it's cheap.

By sheer coincidence, we'll be up in The Dales soon, staying close by. It was on my list of possible pubs to visit! Fortunately, the nearest pub to our cottage serves beers from the Yorkshire Dales Brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I still rate Taylor's beers but have never had a decent pint of Landlord outside of Yorkshire apart from once in a now closed pub in Peterborough.
    I think it's becoming quite hard to find a decent pint of Landlord inside Yorkshire. TBH, it's just not the same beer it was in the 80s and early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'm not sure where John Smiths cask is brewed, Tadcaster allegedly doesn't have the kit to brew cask beers, Hartlepool has been rumoured as the actual source.
    I've heard it's brewed in Hartlepool, as well.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

I think it's becoming quite hard to find a decent pint of Landlord inside Yorkshire. TBH, it's just not the same beer it was in the 80s and early 90s.
    I always found it reliable in their tied houses, I don't think I ever had anything but brilliant pints in all of them.
    I haven't been to a Taylor's pub for over twenty years now. I went to one in York fifteen or so years ago but it seemed like it had become a free house.
    I'll be revisiting one of their pubs next month so it will be very interesting to see what I make of the pub and the beer after all that time!

My first encounter with TT beers was in 1976 and it was almost a life changing moment.

A cynical rewrite:

a) The farmhands have been drinking the stuff for donkeys years. It's a bland McBeer which they can drink a lot of before they get pissed.
    b) We've been selling it for so long because we can't be bothered to research what else is being brewed out there.
    c) Financial incentives from the brewery mean it's cheap.

By sheer coincidence, we'll be up in The Dales soon, staying close by. It was on my list of possible pubs to visit! Fortunately, the nearest pub to our cottage serves beers from the Yorkshire Dales Brewery.

I've heard it's brewed in Hartlepool, as well.
    Don't let the website put you off-it's a grand pub, the focus of some good walks, and we hope to go there in October.Incidentally, the Gunnerside King's Head has the builders in and is due to reopen in September.We've booked our cottage in anticipation!
    Just been in the Dales briefly:beer of the weekend-Yorkshire Dales Buttertubs.As with most of their beers, really flavoursome.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Don't let the website put you off-it's a grand pub, the focus of some good walks, and we hope to go there in October.Incidentally, the Gunnerside King's Head has the builders in and is due to reopen in September.We've booked our cottage in anticipation!
    Just been in the Dales briefly:beer of the weekend-Yorkshire Dales Buttertubs.As with most of their beers, really flavoursome.
    I've no doubt we'll be visiting the Fox & Hounds sometime next week, as we plan to do plenty of walking. News of the King's Head reopening made my Mrs' day. Definitely one of her favourite Dales pubs. Your mention of the Buttertubs has been duly noted. If we come across it on our travels I'll feel obliged to buy her a pint, as she was once mad enough to cycle through the pass, on her own, in the middle of winter!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

as she was once mad enough to cycle through the pass, on her own, in the middle of winter!
    Really!!! She's madder than she looks is your missus.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

as she was once mad enough to cycle through the pass, on her own, in the middle of winter!
    That's Yorkshire for you!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Really!!! She's madder than she looks is your missus.
    Can't argue with that.

Reading about the business with York Brewery, I found this on the Black Sheep website:https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/ne...m-black-sheep/
    Is this a resurrection of the emetically named, but quite drinkable,BaaBaa? The question is, will those pubs that resolutely offer Black Sheep AND Theakstone's Best stock it? Yes, pubs of the Dales, I'm thinking of you!

Last edited by Aqualung; 19-06-2019 at 21:53. Reason: posted in error

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    ?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields