Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it!

Doombar...I'm wondering if they're starting to overstretch themselves, I've had a few duff ones lately (at places where I would expect them to be better).

I recall reading their owner saying that they wanted to be as ubiqiutous in the South as London Pride...and London Pride is a drink that is so often badly-kept I forget just how good it can be when I come across the rarity of a good one.

What is wrong with me? I am even starting to like Abbot Ale!

I see Greene King IPA so rarely now that I almost have to try it every time to remember how bad it is. The aforementioned Doom Bar seems to be invading the country at a faster rate than Japanese knotweed or Chinese mitten crabs.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I see Greene King IPA so rarely now that I almost have to try it every time to remember how bad it is.
    Masochist!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The aforementioned Doom Bar seems to be invading the country at a faster rate than Japanese knotweed or Chinese mitten crabs.
    The first couple of times I tried Doom Bar, I described it as 'majestic'. It was that good. I got Soupy to try it. That was a couple of years ago when it wasn't that common.

I have had it recently and it just doesn't have the same taste. Whereas Abbot was always a bit of a bland nothing in the past, but seems to have acquired a delicious caramel taste just like Black Sheep. I had it for the first time in ages on holiday last week and it was lovely. I thought it was the pub keeping it especially well. I tried it again in Tewkesbury yesterday and it was still lovely.

Either Abbot has changed or my taste buds have.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Kind of echoes my feelings on Doom Bar. I may have to take a chance on Abbot next time I see it and see if I agree with you on that as well.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

The Doom in the Traf on Saturday was good, and I had to raise several glasses to Joe Hart...

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    The first couple of times I tried Doom Bar, I described it as 'majestic'. It was that good. I got Soupy to try it. That was a couple of years ago when it wasn't that common.

I have had it recently and it just doesn't have the same taste. Whereas Abbot was always a bit of a bland nothing in the past, but seems to have acquired a delicious caramel taste just like Black Sheep. I had it for the first time in ages on holiday last week and it was lovely. I thought it was the pub keeping it especially well. I tried it again in Tewkesbury yesterday and it was still lovely.

Either Abbot has changed or my taste buds have.
    Abbot was fine way back , but I haven't tried it for years.I've dined out on the fact that I must be the only beerdrinker in England never to have seen Doombar in a pub:anyway it was on gravity in the axe and Compasses in Ayethorpe Roding in Essex tonight, however the Nethergate ales proved more tempting.Now if Jaipur IPA (another beer I've never tried) was available, that would have been my first choice.
    Last edited by Wittenden; 18-08-2010 at 22:02. Reason: using the phrase "way back when"

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I still haven't tried Golden Sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    About 6 months ago I had a pint of Black Sheeps Golden Sheep...I didn't think much of it as it was gold coloured but had a really strange malty taste. I thought it was probably the bar that wasn't keeping it very well.

Last night I tried another pint in the award winning Baum...It was sh*te. Clear as a bell it just tasted crap. Simon the landlord agreed with me, so it's not just my taste.
    I'm not normally one to rake over old coals, but I couldn't let my experience pass without comment. Finally tried it in The Hop, Leeds a couple of weekends ago. Just as you described it. Three out of our group tried it and we were all very disparaging.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I'm not normally one to rake over old coals, but I couldn't let my experience pass without comment. Finally tried it in The Hop, Leeds a couple of weekends ago. Just as you described it. Three out of our group tried it and we were all very disparaging.
    I had it the other week - just no taste
    MILD: