Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it!

I'm with OB on this one.

I don't mind a pint of the Sheep and when it's good it's very good.

The thing is that despite being across the border in Lancashire we still get loads of it and it also seems to be the default beer of choice for pubs that don't really do cask ale.

This means that the proper beer pubs don't stock it and the non beer pubs don't keep it very well.

So the bottom line is. Despite the fact that it's available in lots of places it's just not very good round here.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    it also seems to be the default beer of choice for pubs that don't really do cask ale.

This means that the proper beer pubs don't stock it and the non beer pubs don't keep it very well.

So the bottom line is. Despite the fact that it's available in lots of places it's just not very good round here.(
    That pretty much sums up my view ROB. I don't actually go a bundle on mid brown bitters, but even allowing for the fact it's not my preferred style, I still find it quite a boring beer. Black Sheep Ale is better and Riggwelter is a lovely drop. I still haven't tried Golden Sheep.

Perceptions of Black Sheep (Bitter) locally seem to be very polarised. One thing that sticks in the mind is when the brewery introduced the illuminated hand pump. One wag wrote in the local CAMRA mag that you'd need to put 10 000 volts through BSB to give it some flavour. Like 'ob' hinted, we're spoilt for choice in Yorkshire, brewery wise.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 12-07-2010 at 15:15.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

I think Black Sheep's alright, seldom gets this far south.

The one you can't get away from round here is London Pride. I always start struggling about halfway down the second pint. The other day four out of the five pubs tried in a town 60 miles from the brewery had Pride amongst other things. The other pub was a Harvey's tied house which made a perfect respite.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 13-07-2010 at 15:43. Reason: struggling to type

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    The one you can't get away from round here is London Pride. I always start stuggling about halfway down the second pint. The other day four out of the five pubs tried in a town 60 miles from the brewery had Pride amongst other things.
    I called into a pub in an obscure fishing village on the Moray Coast to watch the Mexico v France game during the World Cup. Real Ales are virtually non existant in the area but I did read that this place had a couple so I actively made an effort to get there. Yep - London Bleedin' Pride. Luckily they also had Houston Killenan which kept me going for the night! Everyone else in the pub was on the Pride.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I think Black Sheep's alright, seldom gets this far south.

The one you can't get away from round here is London Pride. I always start struggling about halfway down the second pint. The other day four out of the five pubs tried in a town 60 miles from the brewery had Pride amongst other things. The other pub was a Harvey's tied house which made a perfect respite.
    Lots of London Pride up here in Shropshire as well , most of it bloody awfull
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Whether we rate Black Sheep beers or not, I admire their business plan: whereas many sons of the beerage, when presented with wads of cash on the sale of the family business, have gone on to squander it on "high living", Paul (?) Theakston has made a pretty good fist of trading in his own account, and incidentally seems to have encouraged his siblings to buy back the old firm. I would be surprised if there would be any brewing in Masham today if it were not for the success of BS, as I doubt if which ever multi-national currently owns Scottish and Newcastle would be interested in a quaint country brewery in the remoter reaches of God's Own County.
    Having said that, both firms, as A& H and OB say, are up against some strong and talented competition: anyone care to guess why the family Wittenden goes to Yorkshire for their hols?
    Last edited by Wittenden; 13-07-2010 at 23:11. Reason: spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Having said that, both firms, as A& H and OB say, are up against some strong and talented competition: anyone care to guess why the family Wittenden goes to Yorkshire for their hols?
    It's no secret that Yorkshire beers are among my favourites, just about edging out Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    It's no secret that Yorkshire beers are among my favourites, just about edging out Cornwall.
    Heading down to St Ives agin this year, in a couple of weeks. Last year's holiday beers were dominated by the big three (Sharps, Skinners and St Austell) I'm hoping to find something a bit more off the beaten track this year. I might even give The Blue Anchor, Helston a second chance if we're over that way.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

You should be in St Ives when Helston fest is on. Runs from 29 - 31 July at the Football Club by Tesco in Helston. We have done it the last 2 years and not been disappointed.

Haven't had much so far apart from the big 3, but pop to the Star at Crowlas for their beer when over that way.

Had a couple of Thorne beers, Coastal and Bays, but the rest have been the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    You should be in St Ives when Helston fest is on. Runs from 29 - 31 July at the Football Club by Tesco in Helston. We have done it the last 2 years and not been disappointed.

Haven't had much so far apart from the big 3, but pop to the Star at Crowlas for their beer when over that way.

Had a couple of Thorne beers, Coastal and Bays, but the rest have been the usual.
    Thanks for the heads up on Helston fest. Unfortunately, we're travelling down on the 31st. After an 8-9 hour drive and pitching the tent I think we'll be fit for very little. Love the sound of The Star. Will definitely try and visit during our stay.