Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    I am off to the Yorkshire Dales this year. I will also be off for a second pilgrimage to Whitby...

I would like to come across the magnificent Riggwelter. I haven't seen it in a pub since I visited the Bridge Inn in Pateley Bridge 4 years ago...
    Two other places that stock Yorkshire Dales beer are North Riding Hotel in Scarborough and Bacchus Newcastle.

Last time we were in Bacchus the brewer was sat at the bar with his wife, having just delivered a van load.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Riggwelter is my favourite Black Sheep ale too. Had it in a pub in Northumberland last year. Grays Inn in Embleton. Wonderful stuff. My kind of session beer!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Riggwelter is my favourite Black Sheep ale too. Had it in a pub in Northumberland last year. Grays Inn in Embleton. Wonderful stuff. My kind of session beer!
    Easily my Black Sheep favourite too, but session beer! If I drank that all night I'd be a gibbering wreck.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    I am off to the Yorkshire Dales this year. I will also be off for a second pilgrimage to Whitby...

I would like to come across the magnificent Riggwelter. I haven't seen it in a pub since I visited the Bridge Inn in Pateley Bridge 4 years ago...
    Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors are my next holiday stops too!
    Waes hael!

Default New 'Fleece' of Life for Black Sheep

"The changes to the logo make it clearer and easier to see and more adaptable for branding"
    http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/new...ack_sheep_logo
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Thought I'd revive this thread in honour of our flying visit to Yorkshire tomorrow. I might well steer away from BS, but in my researches I found this nugget on the website of the Fox and Hounds in West Burton:

The Yorkshire Dales have traditionally been a stronghold for the beers of John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, and is still today the choice of the born and bred local population. John Smiths Cask Bitter is always resident on our bar but is also complemented by the availability of Black Sheep Bitter which is so popular with visitors and beers from The Copper Dragon Brewery, Skipton, which are also stocked by popular demand.

Discuss.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

As someone who has openly given national brands a hard time I will support the general gist of this thread. Black Sheep Bitter is far better than anything from the Wells stable, Doom Bore, London Pride or any of GK mainstream beers. It is not interesting but it is still a decent drink.
    Riggwelter is a long time favourite whether in cask or bottle. To me it was Black Sheep Old Peculiar after the old firm sold out to S&N.

I still rate Taylor's beers but have never had a decent pint of Landlord outside of Yorkshire apart from once in a now closed pub in Peterborough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post

The Yorkshire Dales have traditionally been a stronghold for the beers of John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, and is still today the choice of the born and bred local population.
    It is true although maybe not so much in Wensleydale and Swaledale and remember John Smith's Smooth is the best selling keg bitter in the country.

Theakstons is also very popular although that's much better now it's brewed in Masham again. The Hambleton Ales brewery tap had to keep Theakstons Best on when it took over the pub. Black Sheep is too avant-garde for JS drinkers. BS brewery is in a less than great financial position - something Paul Theakston blames on Progressive Beer Duty.

I'm not sure where John Smiths cask is brewed, Tadcaster allegedly doesn't have the kit to brew cask beers, Hartlepool has been rumoured as the actual source.

I'll stay on me own

I would be quite happy drinking any beer from Black Sheep,i also like John Smiths Cask and always drink beers from Copper Dragon if they are on the bar.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    BS brewery is in a less than great financial position - something Paul Theakston blames on Progressive Beer Duty.
    Indeed I note from my CMIC statement a 25% drop in share price in the last quarter. Will be interesting to see if they stick with it with £467k at stake.