Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it!

A book for you here, Staaly

Mark Reid has written a whole series of books about circular pub walks. This one is called The Inn Way...to Black Sheep Pubs: 25 Circular Walks in the Yorkshire Dales
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 13-06-2011 at 21:37.
    Waes hael!

A question for our Friends in the North:has Black Sheep upped its game? I ask, because after a weekend of dull beer, the high spot (I blush to admit) was BS Best Bitter. While it isn't my favourite beer by any stretch of the imagination, it was fresh and refreshing, and well put together. Incidentally 3 other beer drinkers on a beer rating site-not that one! rated it fairly highly this weekend.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    A question for our Friends in the North:has Black Sheep upped its game? I ask, because after a weekend of dull beer, the high spot (I blush to admit) was BS Best Bitter. While it isn't my favourite beer by any stretch of the imagination, it was fresh and refreshing, and well put together. Incidentally 3 other beer drinkers on a beer rating site-not that one! rated it fairly highly this weekend.
    I haven't had any BSB for a while but it's a reasonable choice when there's nothing else or the common North Yorkshire position where its a choice of Theakstons/John Smiths or BSB. It all depends where you get it, here or here it's always good but like all widely sold beers you can get some real disasters.

Now Black Sheep Imperial Russian Stout is worth climbing over fells to get to

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    If I was being cynical, I could just say you were very,very lucky! More seriously, I don't really know. I've not had anything by Black Sheep for months, as the pubs I frequent don't touch the stuff. However, as 'ob' points out, the Impy Stout has caused quite a stir and the seasonal Woolly Jumper porter was well received. Maybe the head brewer's creative juices are flowing and recipes are being tweaked?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Once upon a time in a galaxy far away a.k.a. the Big Smoke, Black Sheep Best was one of the default guest beers for all and sundry. Now I never see it and I actually really miss it. I will jump at the next Black Sheep Best I come across.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    In my case, more like falling over the fells I reckon
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I haven't had any BSB for a while but it's a reasonable choice when there's nothing else or the common North Yorkshire position where its a choice of Theakstons/John Smiths or BSB. It all depends where you get it, here or here it's always good but like all widely sold beers you can get some real disasters.

Askrig Yorkshire Dales Brewery is doing many brews way beyond what Black Sheep, or whatever it is called now, are capable of. I despair really when people walk into a pub and order the most boring brown beer they can see, purely because it's the only one they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Askrig Yorkshire Dales Brewery is doing many brews way beyond what Black Sheep, or whatever it is called now, are capable of. I despair really when people walk into a pub and order the most boring brown beer they can see, purely because it's the only one they know.
    I tend to admire rather than enjoy YDB beers,though I haven't tried all their range. I would, naturally choose them over the mafia when offered it.This pub, at least under the old dispensation, kept a fine pint of Muker Silver:Farmers Arms
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    A book for you here, Staaly

Mark Reid has written a whole series of books about circular pub walks. This one is called The Inn Way...to Black Sheep Pubs: 25 Circular Walks in the Yorkshire Dales
    I am off to the Yorkshire Dales this year. I will also be off for a second pilgrimage to Whitby...

I would like to come across the magnificent Riggwelter. I haven't seen it in a pub since I visited the Bridge Inn in Pateley Bridge 4 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    I am off to the Yorkshire Dales this year. I will also be off for a second pilgrimage to Whitby...

I would like to come across the magnificent Riggwelter. I haven't seen it in a pub since I visited the Bridge Inn in Pateley Bridge 4 years ago...
    Three Riggwelter pubs for you, General:Punch Bowl Inn, Punch Bowl Inn and Punch Bowl Inn.
    I haven't been to the Red Lion for a few years now: I hope the legendary landlady is still ruling the roost!
    Sorry, I cocked -up the link business. The other 2 pubs are the CB Inn at Langthwaite in Arkengarthdale, and the Red Lion, also in Langthwaite
    Last edited by Wittenden; 27-06-2011 at 22:58. Reason: IT-FAIL