Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Photo suppression Email notifications to contributors?

  1. #21
    Glass Half Empty
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    RealAleRobUK - Pub signs are an important part of a pub's history. They illustrate character and identity (except the corporate ones). I'm not suggesting everyone needs to include pub signs with their submissions, but it is good when they are included.
    I'm not disagreeing - I love a good pub sign and like seeing the photos of them on here. They are part of the history of the pub and often change over time and it's good to be able to look back and see how things have changed. I certainly have nothing against photos of pub signs and I definitely think they belong on here. I think any photo that shows what a pub is like at a given moment in time is valuable.

    Equally, I know there are probably people who will disagree with that opinion and that's fine too.

  2. #22
    I'll stay on me own Lady Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I'm not disagreeing - I love a good pub sign and like seeing the photos of them on here. They are part of the history of the pub and often change over time and it's good to be able to look back and see how things have changed. I certainly have nothing against photos of pub signs and I definitely think they belong on here. I think any photo that shows what a pub is like at a given moment in time is valuable.
    Well said.

  3. #23
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    I think that the previous two posters are forgetting that this thread is primarily about whether a given picture should appear on the FRONT PAGE of the pub. I'm ambivalent about whether a pub sign picture should appear on the front page. I honestly don't know!
    Of course if one of your pictures does get suppressed and you feel strongly enough about it I believe you can change it yourself without it being logged and then a picture approver can change it back again if they come across it and so on and so on!!! I think it would be nice to see some sort of coherent policy on what should and shouldn't show on the front page.
    I would add that one of my favourite ever pub photographs appears on an old CAMRA guide to North Wales pubs and features a very distant Nant Peris Vaynol Arms with the ridge leading up to Snowdon Summit behind it and taking up most of the picture.

  4. #24
    This Space For Hire AlanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ruabon, Wrexham
    Posts
    934

    Default

    I have just been looking through a few of Camra Real Heritage Pub guides.
    In these guides, virtually every photo is of the INSIDE of the pub. Especially in the South West guide there are some excellent photos that would really attract me to want to visit the pub. They show what the pub is like more than an outside photo. Except in hot weather, I spend more time in the pub than I do looking at the walls outside. I know suppressed inside photos can still be viewed but these Camra guides have that initial impact of what to expect. I know these are Heritage pubs taken when the pub is quiet to show the features but I don't see why a good inside photo should be automatically suppressed on PuG.
    Last edited by AlanH; 24-09-2019 at 05:02.

  5. #25
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have just been looking through a few of Camra Real Heritage Pub guides.
    In these guides, virtually every photo is of the INSIDE of the pub. Especially in the South West guide there are some excellent photos that would really attract me to want to visit the pub. They show what the pub is like more than an outside photo. Except in hot weather, I spend more time in the pub than I do looking at the walls outside. I know suppressed inside photos can still be viewed but these Camra guides have that initial impact of what to expect. I know these are Heritage pubs taken when the pub is quiet to show the features but I don't see why a good inside photo should be automatically suppressed on PuG.
    This Heritage pub subject is a specialised area and I would be surprised if these guides didn't have lots of internal pictures. However, do any of these pictures show hordes of people milling around , taking pictures and not buying a drink or an indifferently kept and dull beer choice?
    I happen to have at hand the Robinson's pub guide and nearly all the pub photos are external.
    My priority is beer choice and quality but that doesn't translate to a picture.
    One big advantage of external shots on the front page is that most casual pub goers don't do lots of research but may recognise a pub from the picture when they stumble across it.

  6. #26
    This is not an exit Komakino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This Heritage pub subject is a specialised area and I would be surprised if these guides didn't have lots of internal pictures. However, do any of these pictures show hordes of people milling around , taking pictures and not buying a drink or an indifferently kept and dull beer choice?
    I happen to have at hand the Robinson's pub guide and nearly all the pub photos are external.
    My priority is beer choice and quality but that doesn't translate to a picture.
    One big advantage of external shots on the front page is that most casual pub goers don't do lots of research but may recognise a pub from the picture when they stumble across it.
    I'd also add that the majority of contributors on this site (and posters on this forum) tend to visit several pubs in an area at the same time, so an external photo on the front page gives a quick visual reference to what to expect when making way to that particular establishment. In addition - and this is my own personal viewpoint - I'd rather not see internal photos as I like to see the interior for my own eyes and cross-reference any previous reviewers' descriptions as to what lies inside, but appreciate there are numerous pubs with unique internal features that are worth sharing.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Similar Threads

  1. Changing EMail Address
    By First King in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-10-2018, 00:42
  2. Anyone not getting email updates?
    By Quinno in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-11-2015, 12:28
  3. The Pub Curmudgeon - The Art of Suppression
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 12:01
  4. One for our Kent contributors....
    By aleandhearty in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-06-2011, 16:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •