Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo suppression Email notifications to contributors?

This Space For Hire

Default Photo suppression Email notifications to contributors?

I got an email today saying review added at X pub so went to read it to realise 0 pictures where showing from contributions over the years, pub still called the same name, so nothing related to name change which I've noted before.

Since I went in Feb 2018 and added pictures, nothing in updates to imply it's closed and reopened so how do these pictures get removed from main page? Who makes the decision for that and as a result is there a way a notification can be sent to people who have submitted pictures be sent to alert them that their pictures are being suppressed/removed from main page so they can review and reinstate\if they feel there is no reason for this to happen. Could understand if server space related remove picture from X years ago but keep three years ago. The last picture for this pub was August 2019 so that makes even less sense.

Correct me if I've missed something informing of policy change as I've not been around on here much. Still got pictures and pubs to add from visits since Easter that I haven't got round to yet.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 07-09-2019 at 00:45.

Which pub?

We seem to have moved, informally, to a position whereby if a good new photo of the exterior gets uploaded pictures older than 3/4 years old get supressed in order to keep the pub page fresh and up-to-date.

However that doesn't acount for a pub having no pictures at all - something is better than nothing of course. Probably just a cock-up but one of us can easily jump in and re-release a pic of two.
    Last edited by Quinno; 07-09-2019 at 23:29.

This Space For Hire

The Wyndham Arms The rest seem to have been restored now after I did my reactivation.

Exactly as you say better to have something and users may not notice a pub has a picture and consider going to one that has if nobody else has been yet as may not be worth it etc.

If we are going a time based route can we look at retaining the icon to state a picture has been taken of it. I doubt the removal lessens the numbers of photographed pubs but it could be mildly annoying to make an effort to visit somewhere without a photo only to find 10 are hidden because it was a Leap Year.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 07-09-2019 at 22:30.

To be brutally frank of the six pictures on that pub page, 3 would probably be suppressed as they show irrelevant features, or a pub sign which some dwarves don't like to put on the main page. The other three are poor quality pictures, one is too dark/badly lit and the other two are just badly composed. At least there isn't one of a dirty bus window.

Still I agree any picture is better than no picture.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    To be brutally frank of the six pictures on that pub page, 3 would probably be suppressed as they show irrelevant features, or a pub sign which some dwarves don't like to put on the main page. The other three are poor quality pictures, one is too dark/badly lit and the other two are just badly composed. At least there isn't one of a dirty bus window.

Still I agree any picture is better than no picture.
    Apologies for mine been what I suspect is the dark one due to sunlight position at the time of the day I was there. We all can't be Countryfile Calendar photographers or wait till the opportune time of day to take the perfect photo exists. I'll consider my composition more in the future if the fashion police exist now.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Apologies for mine been what I suspect is the dark one due to sunlight position at the time of the day I was there.
    This is a perennial problem with pub photographs. If it's not the late spring / summer months and the sun is directly behind the pub a photo is never going to work well. You'll probably get a better picture on a cloudy day but I agree that something is better than nothing and we are only discussing excluding pictures from the main display.
    I've calculated that the best time to get a great shot of the Great Western is around 10:00am in the summer or late spring months but I've yet to manage it.
    I was in Blaenau Ffestiniog a while back when it was covered in cloud so I was excited by the prospect of a great atmospheric shot of the Meirion Vaults. It turned out to be an average shot on a manky day!
    Last edited by Aqualung; 09-09-2019 at 00:05.

if the fashion police exist now.
    Not a question of "fashion police" more a case of how tacky and amateurish you think the site should look.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Not a question of "fashion police" more a case of how tacky and amateurish you think the site should look.
    I try to not make it such, but I'll see if there is a 300m bus window filter app available in Google Play Store.

I try to not make it such, but I'll see if there is a 300m bus window filter app available in Google Play Store.
    I expect you could borrow one from one of our other contributors but otherwise out of focus would work.

Don't forget to hold the camera at an angle and do try to get lots of scaffolding and fences in the picture, taking one of a van or some bins that mostly obscures the pub is pretty good too. Better still take photos at night so all that we can actually see are some overexposed lights or perhaps one of some random bit of building if you insist on daytime.

Here's another tip; take the photo in portrait orientation and don't correct it before submitting to the wrong pub page.

Edit - just been reminded by one of our "star" performers, always have your finger in shot at the top of the photo.
    Last edited by oldboots; 09-09-2019 at 15:53.

I would just like to thank Old Boots for his fantastic photography tips. In the future, I'll endeavour to comply with these stipulations
    Last edited by Lady Grey; 11-09-2019 at 12:15.