Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of Sam Smiths London pubs

Default List of Sam Smiths London pubs

Friend and I are trying to tick off all the Sams pubs in London. Turns out there isn't an up-to-date list anywhere, so I have had to make one by trawling around. Can anyone help refine this list?

cheers
    Quinno

Sams and open

CAA (cask ale available) = 14
    NCA (no cask ale) = 22

Mentioned elsewhere but not found in PuG or ambiguous
    Dover Castle (now Jackalope and not Sams)
    Freemason’s Arms, Long Acre, WC1 (now owned by Sheps)
    George & Vulture 3 Castle Court EC3V 9DL (ambiguous - restaurant operation!)
    Lord Wolseley, White Lion Street, N1 (now Craft Beer Co)
    Shades, Bucklersbury, EC4 (demolished)
    Last edited by Quinno; 10-03-2024 at 16:41.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I was thinking of going in The George & Vulture back in January but from the outside it looked to me like you would have to negotiate with a waiter if you didn't want to be seated for a chop house meal.I gave up but maybe it is worth persevering ,even if it leads to a deletion from PuG for what I seem to remember is a famous old building.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'd say your list looks comprehensive to me. I can't think of any recent openings and you've covered the most recent closures in the section at the bottom of your list. The only question mark is the George & Vulture - as I understand it, this is owned by Sam Smiths but is set up as a restaurant which doesn't have draught beer (just bottled Sam Smiths beer) and does not welcome casual drinkers. From walking by the place in the past, I never got the impression it's a pub, so would probably drop it from your list.

Good luck with it - hope you like keg OBB!

I was going to suggest http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php but it appears to have shut down (or been Humphreyed).

You don't need to drink keg OBB, the stout is pretty good, Sovereign is like an old school keg bitter and Four Pure is reckoned to be a fine lager. The bottles can be outstanding if expensive, I have a weakness for Taddy Porter and Yorkshire Stingo is a rare treat at 7% odd. Part of the USP of Sam's is the no additives rule which probably accounts for the higher quality of most of their products.

A couple of years ago i wrote all the London pubs down from the Sam Smiths London challenge and your list is exactly the same. There was 37 but that included The George and Vulture and The Dover Castle but they are mentioned anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Friend and I are trying to tick off all the Sams pubs in London. Turns out there isn't an up-to-date list anywhere, so I have had to make one by trawling around. Can anyone help refine this list?

cheers
    Quinno

Freemason’s Arms, Long Acre, WC1 (now owned by Sheps)

I can't add anything to your list but if I remember rightly the Freemasons was a Bass Charrington house that became a Sheps pub. I have no recollection of it being a Smith's pub but that certainly doesn't mean I'm right!
    I'd be interested to know whether these pubs are leased or if Sams actually own the freehold.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can't add anything to your list but if I remember rightly the Freemasons was a Bass Charrington house that became a Sheps pub. I have no recollection of it being a Smith's pub but that certainly doesn't mean I'm right!
    I'd be interested to know whether these pubs are leased or if Sams actually own the freehold.
    I recall being told many were freehold and that is partly the reason why Sams don't need to raise revenues or sell shares - Humph is sitting on a mega million property empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I recall being told many were freehold and that is partly the reason why Sams don't need to raise revenues or sell shares - Humph is sitting on a mega million property empire.
    That is the received wisdom, SS certainly own a lot of Taddy, however a bit more rumour is that Samuel Smith Ltd is owned by a family trust not Mr Humphrey and the trust rules say he should step down when he reaches a certain age. He reached that age some time ago and younger members of the family are alleged to be about to challenge Mr Humphrey in court.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    That is the received wisdom, SS certainly own a lot of Taddy, however a bit more rumour is that Samuel Smith Ltd is owned by a family trust not Mr Humphrey and the trust rules say he should step down when he reaches a certain age. He reached that age some time ago and younger members of the family are alleged to be about to challenge Mr Humphrey in court.
    The last return for the Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) unlimited company to Companies House in 2015 contained a full list of shareholders as follows:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSOBT 2015.png 
Views:	540 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1843

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    The last return for the Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) unlimited company to Companies House in 2015 contained a full list of shareholders as follows:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSOBT 2015.png 
Views:	540 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1843
    That's just a number of different Humphs ala Mr Benn!