Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Towns that disappoint and surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Selby looked OK ish as I passed through to the Wethers with time to spare between trains.
    Yes looks "ok" from my drives through the town but I've not done it beer-wise, so can't say. Where on earth were you going to change trains at Selby, York is more obvious if going to/coming from Hull.

Had a trip round Boroughbridge today which has improved but still not somewhere to recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    No town disappoints me more than Rhyl with just one good pub, the Cob & Pen near the station and micro pub The Dove at Rhyl 10 minutes walk from the centre.

In contrast, much smaller Prestatyn is improving all the time with new openings and a decent pub crawl can be had there.
    I didn't mind the JDW in Rhyl but imagine it must be Hell in the peak holiday season. They are keen to open an outlet in Prestatyn and probably have a better chance of pulling it off there than in Conwy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes looks "ok" from my drives through the town but I've not done it beer-wise, so can't say. Where on earth were you going to change trains at Selby, York is more obvious if going to/coming from Hull.

Had a trip round Boroughbridge today which has improved but still not somewhere to recommend.
    Was going from Thornaby to Hull to watch me Salford, but ahead of schedule. I'm a bit of a Wethers ticker too so any excuse....

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Been there a number of times.It's one of those towns where the best option in the 'spoons,in this case the oddly named Giant Bellflower.
    .Elsewhere you can go on quite a crawl and not find any decent ale,but there is a very good curry house.Watching the tide surge up the Ouse is another plus point.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I don't even know where that place is!

Just Missed the Round

Most North Yorkshire market towns are particularly awful, with special mentions for Northallerton and Thirsk.
    I agree this has been my experience too. I used to really like the Little Three in Thirsk though, but on my most recent visit I wasn't that impressed. It is always possible I was being particularly uncharitable on the day though, but it's fair to say the ales on offer were all a bit samey. It's probably still the best in Thirsk though, with The Three Tuns (JD Wetherspoon) coming second place (at least for the beer selection).

Otherwise in these North Yorkshire market towns you seem to be stuck with variations of Black Sheep and the big national stuff. Such a shame to be in these picturesque market towns when the mediocre beer lets the pub experience down.

A worthy mention goes to The Castle Tavern in Richmond however, which offers beers from the Richmond Brewery.