Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 4th August 2019)

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 4th August 2019)

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Kent:

Holler-Loot IPA 5.5%abv. My first meeting with a NEIPA.Very fruity and thick.Lacking the hop hit I was expecting from an IPA.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Northern Monk - Northern Powerhouse. In Craft Asylum #2 on Granary Wharf in Leeds.

Hampshire, Surrey and East Sussex.

Leeds - Calypso
    Big Smoke - Solaris*
    Crafty - Crafty One Pale
    Flowerpots - Perridge Pale*
    Flowerpots - Bitter
    Flowerpots - Goodens Gold*
    Oakham - OPA*
    Cross Bay - Zenith*
    St Austell - Proper Job
    Cellar Head - Hop Project
    Brew Studio - Track 1
    Vibrant Forest - Rubus Pale*
    Vibrant Forest - Oxymoron*
    Salopian - Hair Of The Dog*
    Adnams Mosaic

All the starred beers were top notch and would be worthy winners most weeks, but the 5.0% Oxymoron, much enjoyed in The Old Bike Store, outshone them all and is BOTW.
    It's appearance may unsettle some on here, just don't drink with your eyes.
    worthing vibrant forest oxymoron.jpg
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 05-08-2019 at 17:52. Reason: Clarification, but not of the winner
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A more intersting week:

Facers DHB
    Merlins The Wizard
    Beartown Kahuna*
    Whim Flower Power*
    Kirkstall Dissolution IPA*
    Good Chemistry Boundless Sky
    Kirkstall Three Swords
    Overtone IPA (keg)*
    Oakham Bishops Farewell*
    Hop Back Summer Lightening*

Against stiff competition BOTW goes to Whim Brewery Flower Power. Just as good as I remember it - slightly floral, refreshingly bitter and very difficult to put down on a warm day.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    It's appearance may unsettle some on here, just don't drink with your eyes.
    worthing vibrant forest oxymoron.jpg
    By sheer coincidence, I've just been reading an article in the Stourbridge & Halesowen CAMRA magazine (Ales &Tales) entitled A Fined Beer Is A Finer Beer. The writer, Steve Thompson, is obviously not a fan of the unfined, but he did come up with some interesting definitions:

O-Opalescent, a beer whose clarity is such that one can easily see two fingers through the glass.

H-Hazy, a beer whose clarity is such that only the outline of two fingers can be seen through the glass.

C-Cloudy, a beer whose clarity is such that two fingers are hardly visible through the glass.

G-Chicken Gravy, a beer that looks like your mother's best chicken gravy and thick enough for a spoon to stand up in it.

It would appear you were on the chicken gravy! FWIW, I would try it though.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A good week, variety wise, but not much to get excited about.

Small World - Twin Falls.
    Yorkshire Heart - Rhu-bar.*
    Rat - White Rat.
    Wigan Brewhouse - Old Boston.
    Northern Monkey - Last Drop.
    Salopian - Lemon Dream.
    North Riding - Citra.*
    Titanic - Plum Porter.*
    Stod Fold - Mandarina Bavaria.
    Empire - Moonraker Mild.
    Beer Ink - Leave Before The Lites Come On.
    Brew Foundation - Wort' The Wait.
    Fernandes - Red Neck.
    Wigan Brewhouse - Gin Pit.
    Fernandes - Cascade.
    Mallinsons - Le Mild Thing.

The Citra was the easy winner, this week. Having not tried it for a while, I decided to give the Lemon Dream another chance. However, I still thought it tasted like Fairy Liquid. My least favourite beer from Salopian.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    By sheer coincidence, I've just been reading an article in the Stourbridge & Halesowen CAMRA magazine (Ales &Tales) entitled A Fined Beer Is A Finer Beer. The writer, Steve Thompson, is obviously not a fan of the unfined, but he did come up with some interesting definitions:

O-Opalescent, a beer whose clarity is such that one can easily see two fingers through the glass.

H-Hazy, a beer whose clarity is such that only the outline of two fingers can be seen through the glass.

C-Cloudy, a beer whose clarity is such that two fingers are hardly visible through the glass.

G-Chicken Gravy, a beer that looks like your mother's best chicken gravy and thick enough for a spoon to stand up in it.

Probably the nicest chicken gravy in the world.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

G-Chicken Gravy, a beer that looks like your mother's best chicken gravy and thick enough for a spoon to stand up in it. I can live with O and H but C and G are just a joke and nothing more than a pointless vanity project by stupid arrogant brewers with the exception of wheat beers

I also read that article and agree with it. I can live with O and H but not C or G but with the possible exception of genuine Wheat beers but these should still not be category G. It's a group of stupid arrogant brewers following a ridiculous trend.

A pathetic week with a disastrous choice in the George last Tuesday with five beers from the Marston stable only one of which was worth a go. The other four were Bombardier, Pedigree, Lancaster Bomber and Wainwright.

Portobello Tropical Crush 4.4%
    ELB Nightwatchman 4.5%
    Portobello Market Porter 4.6%
    St Peters Plum Porter 4.6%
    Reunion Isotonic 4.7%
    Brewdog Punk IPA (keg) 5.4%
    Marston Old Empire 5.7%

I've seen the St Peters Plum Porter mentioned in a bad light somewhere else. It was in good enough nick but quite sweet with a similar overpowering plum flavour as the Titanic one which better. I've no idea what Reunion are trying to achieve with the Isotonic beer but I thought it was poor. The best of a poor bunch is ELB Nightwatchman.

BOTW ELB Nightwatchman