Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (July)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Pub of the Month (July)

The place to chat about fantastic pubs you have found this month.

Well my first contender for POTM is the newly reopened Greyhound in Derby.

As Derby has such a dearth of good pubs it's nice to see a new kid on the block.

Owned by Derby Brewery it's their latest venture and once again they've saved another dead pub.

Keep it going guys you're doing great job.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7104/
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I do wish people would stop giving me excuses to go to Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I do wish people would stop giving me excuses to go to Derby.
    We've never needed an excuse really, we visit two or three times a year. NIKE project management applies here (or JFDI project management as its also known).
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Here's what was on handpump on Monday at The Crown, Stockport, http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53526/
    Mallinsons-Chocolate Stout, Elland-Born to be Wild, Stationhouse-Nightmail, Pictish-Summit, Salopian-Shropshire Gold (later changed for Chameleon), Lytham-English Ale, Allgates-Twitter&Bisted, Darkstar-American Pale Ale, Whim-Hartington IPA, Oakham-JHB, Phoenix-White Monk, Copper Dragon-Golden Pippin, Mallinsons-Wipeout, Nook-Nook Best, Harviestoun-Bitter&Twisted, the vacant pump later became Bollington-Happy Valley, and the cider was Moonshine (7.5%).
    A good atmosphere included healthy chat about what home grown veg was coming to fruition, and a couple of 2-week old Bantam chicks (Bert & Ernie) came down in a beer box for a look round.
    I don't think I need wait any longer to comfortably nominate my potm! (& White Monk just shaved botw).

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I don't think I need wait any longer to comfortably nominate my potm!
    John Bonser recently described me on BITE as the "intrepid Captain Cook of the pubgoing world" and as such I would never call my PotM with 16 days to go! I am confident that the Trafalgar tonight will (or should) be my PotM but I never know where I will end up over the remainder of the month! The Crown does seem to be a good shout though - another place high on my visit list.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    John Bonser recently described me on BITE as the "intrepid Captain Cook of the pubgoing world"
    Of the reviewers that didn't move across, John is the one I probably miss the most. Always writes good balanced copy. I noticed the other day he'd reviewed a pub about a mile and a half down the road from where I live. I PM'd him to say I was disappointed to miss him and we both agreed it was a shame the online community had been split down the middle.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I can't see myself getting anywhere new for the next few days so I'm confident of this months selection.

Had a decent months exploration and ticked off a couple of "must do's". I thought the Trafalgar in Merton would have been the one but it was eclipsed by the King George V in Brompton. This too was pipped at the last minute by the Park Tavern in Eltham, an area not exactly brimming with quality drinking establishments. Last night was my first visit for a couple of years but I have gradually seen the place rise from a drab dated pub frequented by the occasional sop from the betting shop to a quite classy ale emporium with traditional values and where any hint of bad language is curtly reprimanded by an old fashioned landlord. Not quite the most beautiful swan at the moment but its come a long way from the ugly duckling.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

My POTM is The Royal Exchange,Stone www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34611/

As mentioned in the Project William thread http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...roject+william this pub has been revived by a combination of Everards and the Titanic Brewery and is an excellent ale house.So good to see this transformation of a failing Marston's house,it also helps that Stone is a great place to visit . The Swan at the other end of town came a close second .

For me it has to be http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62896/

Great to come home to after hols and working away, consistently excellent beer (most notably, this month, fff and Flowerpots), reassuringly grumpy barman and first class food.

Well done Alan and Nicky, still one of my favourites (just a mile or so too far to be my local, though).