Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First in Last Out Whitby - Good Beer Guide 2009

Smile First in Last Out Whitby - Good Beer Guide 2009/2010

I've always been impressed with the Camerons Strongarm in our Local and the Tetley's is excellent too. But now its official. The First in Last Out in Whitby is in the 2009 Good Beer Guide. Well done to Charlie and Sheila.

The new landlords Paul and Ann have recently learned that the First In is also in the 2010 Good Beer Guide.
    Last edited by Filo; 25-09-2009 at 20:58. Reason: 2010 Good Beer Guide update.
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Filo,

Well done, I know you have sold the area strongly on our site and forums, so good to see the pubs getting the recognition they clearly deserve.

In case anyone wants a pointer here is a link to The First In Last Out on Pubs Galore.

Conrad

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi filo

I would have added this on the pub page, but then i wasnt sure if my review would then be seen first, before yours, if you follow. Another advert for multiple postings PG team- especially in view of the Crown, Handsacre's retort to my review.

My review was made in May, and i havent been back since. I may have missed the guest ale when i visited back then, but if not, its great to see another beer on. I am not a Tetley fan, so would be worried if a pub had only one drink on for my tastes. Same would be true of the Elsinore - if the Strongarm went, i couldnt drink anything there!

I certainly wasnt slating your pub and I will return at some point and update the review - if you let me in!

Default Good Beer Guide 2010

Hi Historian,

I had guessed that you must have been in the Filo before it changed hands.

The previous Landlord, Charlie had decided to retire and was keen for the new Landlords Paul and Anne to take over as soon as possible. I think he had lost interest. But anyway the pub is showing signs of having some care and attention lavished on it and for my part I cant wait till the upholstery is done, I'm lobbying for traditional Red! I also keep mentioning an open fire but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

The beer they sell most of is the Camerons Strongarm. Obviously because its a first class ale. They sell almost as much Tetleys as well though, but I have to admit I wouldnt drink much if there was no Camerons.

They also plan to have another beer, probably John Smiths Smoothflow
    and always have a guest beer available. At the moment its Jenning Rug Rat. It very good.

Regards,

Filo
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Eeeeeeeeek, thread jumping.

Paul, your assertion is correct, your review would jump above FILO's. Reviews code needs a rewrite badly, the other thing would be to do something like forums so that you get an email everytime a pub you have interacted with gets new input.

No shortage of ideas, just a shortage of time . We will get there though

Quote Originally Posted by filo View Post

They also plan to have another beer, probably John Smiths Smoothflow
    Why oh! Why, JS? - it's shocking - tell 'em to be daring and get a MILD! or Tetley Imperial, rather than JS

It sounds at least that the interior is on the way up - as long as they keep the traditional feel and not go for the modern look.

Fingers crossed.

I remain envious of you for having; an abbey, good museums and loads of top pubs. I am not suprised they held the great synod there in 664

Default Dark Mild

Hi Historian,

I spoke to the FILO landlady, Anne, yesterday and she said the John Smiths is to replace some naf lager, Fosters I think it is, and their getting it as part of some deal. As for the Dark Mild, that will be included amongst the guest beers. The last Dark Mild they had was Theakstons I think. It must have been good since it only lasted three days, (I think that might have been my fault since it was my long weekend off ).

I must admit Whitby is a great place to live, what with the abbey the museums and pubs as you say. We also have the only Steam Bus in Britain, a resident 3 masted, 22 gun Frigate, in the harbour, and Steam Trains in and out of the Railway Station three times a day, which is handy if we fancy a beer at Goathland, Beck hole or at one of the excellent pubs in Pickering without the need for anyone to drive.

Regards,

Filo

Quote Originally Posted by filo View Post
    Hi Historian,

The last Dark Mild they had was Theakstons I think. It must have been good since it only lasted three days, (I think that might have been my fault since it was my long weekend off ).

I must admit Whitby is a great place to live

Regards,

Filo
    Very popular then - and still nobody sells it! Good news that the FILO are going to have it on - i will return in that case

Yes the Turk, i think the ship is, the steam bus (Elizabeth?) and the railway, more great attractions - only one that lets you down a bit is the Dracula thing - they should rebrand it as a comedy show! there - ticket sales will go through the roof now!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Silly fact of the day earlier this year we were contacted by one of our members to let us know that "pubs who say they are in the Good Beer Guide, are no longer allowed to make references to it.
    this effects branch websites, newsletters , and other websites". I have not been able to corroborate this and can't really see how they can stop other people like yourselves mentioning it.

Seems really stupid to me though, kind of dilutes the benefit of being in the guide if you can't mention it surely?

Smile Good Beer Guide

Hi, Conrad,

When Charlie, the previous Landlord introduced me to the chaps from CAMRA and the GBG in 2009, as the person who did the webpage, he seemed quite happy for me to add a mention of the FILO's achievment. If CAMRA can borrow my pictures for their site it seems daft for them not to want as much exposure for the GBG as they can get. Its free advertising after all.

I wonder if pubs that are not in the good beer guide are allowed to make a mention of it? For example: "The Management and Staff at The Slaughtered Lamb are proud to announce that once again we are not in the Good Beer Guide"

Filo