Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A decent TV programme about beer.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default A decent TV programme about beer.

My splenetic outburst, on ROB's thread about his beloved Baum, set me thinking. Why hasn't there been a decent programme about beer? Surely, the time is right for something that's serious and informative, without being as dry as dust?

I wouldn't let Clarke & May, Morrissey & Fox within a mile of the idea, but some of the better beer writers would seem ideal: The puppyish enthusiasm of Pete Brown, the erudition of Martyn Cornell (Zythophile), the gravitas of Roger Protz, the non-beardy take of Melissa Cole etc. No doubt there would have to be a TV 'face' also, but I can't believe it wouldn't work.

Any other suggestions for presenters?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Julia Bradbury as the TV face and maybe a slightly overweight bloke in his early 40s with a strange regional accent and a genuine love of pubs and beer ......oooh thats ME
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Arwkrite and Old Boots maybe

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

They could do PUG TV , every week a presenter(preferablly a nice looking young lady) goes on a pub crawl around different areas guided by the local PUG contributer who knows the area best
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I just love the idea of Arwkrite doing a show, if it is anywhere near as meandering as some of his posts it would be an instant classic.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Julia Bradbury as the TV face and maybe a slightly overweight bloke in his early 40s with a strange regional accent and a genuine love of pubs and beer ......oooh thats ME

Oh Yes! Good call on JB, Oggy! She did one of those tasteful nude photoshoots recently (RadioTimes?)and she looked as fit as a butcher's dog. Might have to toss you for the overweight bloke spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I just love the idea of Arwkrite doing a show, if it is anywhere near as meandering as some of his posts it would be an instant classic.
    Same here. Trouble is each programme would probably be scheduled for half an hour....not four!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Arwkrite and Old Boots maybe
    "I just love the idea of Arwkrite doing a show, if it is anywhere near as meandering as some of his posts it would be an instant classic". Quote Conrad

Ziss vill not be Vorgotten. RogerB , Ale und Hearty, Conrad Vill join RobCamra in ze little black book. Cum ze day oft ze revolution you vill all buy me drinks. Ve Vill not Vorget zis.
    You VILL ALL JOIN Me in a resounding chorus of " I love to go a vandering along ze pubsGalore threads".

All Together Now....

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    "I just love the idea of Arwkrite doing a show, if it is anywhere near as meandering as some of his posts it would be an instant classic". Quote Conrad

Ziss vill not be Vorgotten. RogerB , Ale und Hearty, Conrad Vill join RobCamra in ze little black book. Cum ze day oft ze revolution you vill all buy me drinks. Ve Vill not Vorget zis.
    You VILL ALL JOIN Me in a resounding chorus of " I love to go a vandering along ze pubsGalore threads".

All Together Now....
    Y Viva Espana!!!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

Oh Yes! Good call on JB, Oggy! She did one of those tasteful nude photoshoots recently (RadioTimes?)and she looked as fit as a butcher's dog. Might have to toss you for the overweight bloke spot.
    I have to admit to having no idea who this lass was. I do however love Googles predictive search, it gives you a hint of what people are searching for.

So anyway I get as far as 'Julia Bradb' before Google kindly suggests 'Julia Bradbury' followed by 'Julia Bradbury stockings'

I blame you lot !

I just had a look at JB....I know my limits..Does she have a Granny going free at the moment ?

I like the idea of doing a proper beer program. Myself, OldBoots, Running Dog riding in a vintage Rolls Royce, staying at top class hotels whilst visiting real ale breweries. ( Who is paying though, we are all broke at the moment . We will of course get to keep the extensive , personally tailored wardrobe of clothes commissioned for the series ). With a bit of thought we could stretch in to more episodes than " World at War" and that seemed to go on longer than the original.

So if anyone is interested my calender is free after next Sunday night when the Cloggies will send the dagos running with a lump of edam in their ears.