Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn 2019 Shrewsbury Crawl Dates and Venues

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yes, no one objected to the date, no one objected to my idea of allowing until the end of July for objections, and no one contradicted BF when he said it was a sensible suggestion. So, Friday 18th October it is, then.
    I've got 3 nights at the PI booked which is nearer £50.00 a night than £30.00 as it's under three months away. I've also got the tickets up booked. Anyone thinking of staying on Friday night should note that Wolves are at home to Southampton on the Saturday making the evening trains through there difficult.

Local B&B booked. Will be in town for the Thursday night also..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Did someone say local knowledge

The well trodden Ale Route around Shrewsbury inside the Loop (Shrewsburys nearly an island , the Loop refers to the part of town inside the loop of the River Severn) goes like this

Salopian Bar , modernish Ale Bar
    Shrewsbury Hotel(JDW) , most publike of the 2 spoons in town
    Armoury, gastro pub but a good selection of ales
    Montgomerys Tower (JDW) , less publike but better beer
    Wheatsheaf , Marstons usually 6/7 beers on
    Three Fishs , very good pub , 6/7 mostly local beers
    Loggerheads , Marstons , worth a visit for the interior
    Yorkshire House , its a bit bonkers
    Nags Head , can be hit and miss ale wise , but has a 500 year old smoking shelter
    Coach and Horses , lovelly victorian corner pub , usually 4/5 local beers
    Admiral Benbow , decent pub 6/7 local beers

Its worth a walk up Coton Hill to the Woodman and the Royal Oak , its only a 5/10 minute walk , the Dolphin is also worth a walk but is a bit further .

Plenty of other pubs around in town , and a short walk away .

The Abbey must have changed a hell of a lot , its was just a bog standard Ember Inns pub on the few times i have been there .

This seems like a good starting plan. The only outlier not mentioned is the Joules Bricklayers in Copthorne but isn't worth the diversion. The Dolphin is worth a look but is a big diversion although there are buses. There are three very near the station that may be worth adding as Wild Cards the Castle Vaults, the crafty Castle Hotel and the Albion Vaults.
    Some people may not be happy with including two JDWs but on the other hand I'm not happy with including Marston outlets. That doesn't matter as I'll be doing a Lite version of the ultimate crawl.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I didn't really get involved in the date selection process as we don't get out with you on a regular basis these days, but will not be able to do 18th as we are booked into travelodge at Sheffield that day, but hope you all have a really good time. Enjoyed meeting up with you on our last visit to Sheffield. Have just had a few days in York, and will be enjoying a couple of days in Liverpool and Bristol later this month, so are still interested in both pubs and beer.

Have fun.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Sadly can't make the Thursday or Saturday so will be day-tripping up from Surrey on the 18th.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Day trip down from the North Yorkshire / Durham border for me. I'm passing through Shrewsbury at the end of Sept on route to Aberystwyth so if there are any wildcards needing checking out...

OK, I swore I wasn't going to do this but I've run out of excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ...here's a list of the GBG2019 pubs that are more central.

Admiral Benbow
    The Coach & Horses
    The Nag's Head
    Montgomery's Tower (Lloyds No 1)
    The Salopian Bar
    Three Fishes

Further out are The Dolphin & The Woodman and in the other direction Cross Foxes, The Prince Of Wales and The Abbey but all might be considered too far out?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yorkshire House anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Did someone say local knowledge

The well trodden Ale Route around Shrewsbury inside the Loop (Shrewsburys nearly an island , the Loop refers to the part of town inside the loop of the River Severn) goes like this

Salopian Bar , modernish Ale Bar
    Shrewsbury Hotel(JDW) , most publike of the 2 spoons in town
    Armoury, gastro pub but a good selection of ales
    Montgomerys Tower (JDW) , less publike but better beer
    Wheatsheaf , Marstons usually 6/7 beers on
    Three Fishs , very good pub , 6/7 mostly local beers
    Loggerheads , Marstons , worth a visit for the interior
    Yorkshire House , its a bit bonkers
    Nags Head , can be hit and miss ale wise , but has a 500 year old smoking shelter
    Coach and Horses , lovelly victorian corner pub , usually 4/5 local beers
    Admiral Benbow , decent pub 6/7 local beers

Its worth a walk up Coton Hill to the Woodman and the Royal Oak , its only a 5/10 minute walk , the Dolphin is also worth a walk but is a bit further .

Plenty of other pubs around in town , and a short walk away .

The Abbey must have changed a hell of a lot , its was just a bog standard Ember Inns pub on the few times i have been there .

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The only outlier not mentioned is the Joules Bricklayers in Copthorne but isn't worth the diversion. The Dolphin is worth a look but is a big diversion although there are buses. There are three very near the station that may be worth adding as Wild Cards the Castle Vaults, the crafty Castle Hotel and the Albion Vaults.
    I make that over two dozen suggested pubs, and I would like to add my own: Bull in the Barne, which was found "acceptable" by Al Bundy in 2015, which is good enough for me to take a walk in that direction, plus the Old Bucks Head and the Boathouse, while we're outside the Loop. So, obviously far too many - needs a bit of whittlin' down.

I would start by eliminating the two 'Spoons, but then I would, wouldn't I? Also the three pubs near the station. I've been to the Prince of Wales, which I liked but wouldn't necessarily recommend to anyone who didn't fancy walking that far out of town, and I guess we could also eliminate the Abbey on the same grounds (and Oggy's comment above!). And then there's the new Evolution (added by Oggwyn on 24th August), but that looks a bus ride away and opens at 4pm. Volunteers?

But 22 or even 21 is still too many, so they need splitting into main route and wild cards. Please don't shout at me, because this is just to get things stirred up and I haven't the time today to put these in a reasonable walking sequence either:

M Admiral Benbow
    M The Coach & Horses
    M The Nag's Head
    M The Salopian Bar
    M Three Fishes
    M (?) The Dolphin
    M The Woodman
    M Cross Foxes
    M/W Loggerheads
    W Armoury
    W Wheatsheaf
    W Yorkshire House
    W Royal Oak
    W Bricklayers
    W Bull in the Barne
    W Shrewsbury Hotel
    ? Montgomery's Tower (Lloyds No 1)
    ? Olde Bucks Head
    ? Boathouse
    ? Evolution

So that's nine(ish) main route pubs, seven or more wild cards and a few queries. Apologies for any errors and omissions (please correct gently), but I'm under multiple stresses from work and impending redundancy (even though I'm fairly happy to take it), plus I nearly got knocked off my bike on the way home tonight and needed something strong to help me relax. The combination of alcohol, in hand and in prospect, has helped.

Looking forward to this crawl - and contributions to the debate!
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Local knowledge is always very useful when planning crawl routes,and I don't see much wrong with Oggy's original plan.His crawl is in a pretty tight area and getting around the 11 in The Loop doesn't seem too much of a push. (Wetherspoons objectors could self select and get this down to 9.)Many of us will wish to finish near the station so The Woodman and Royal Oak seem sensible at the end of the day but with additional wild cards of The Dolphin and the three station pubs mentioned by Aqualung.

Cross Foxes,Bull in the Barne,Old Buck's Head and Boathouse all seem to be at the edges of his main route and could be included as more wild cards.

A bus ride away to Evolution must surely be for the hardy and not one for the main route.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 24-09-2019 at 12:45.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Here's my thoughts/

For some reason the Dolphin is not in the latest GBG.
    The JDW 40th Anniversary Autumn beef festival is going on the date with many one off brews.
    I wouldn't call any of these "near" the station but surely the nearest is the Salopian Bar? I believe it opens at 11:00.
    The three I mentioned near the station are yards away. One us a former GBG entry but is noisy, one is a crafty bar and the one I haven't tried has been described in the past as a dump. I've certainly no objection to them not being part of the route.
    The Dolphin is a bus ride away but most buses seem to be infrequent and finish early. For me the Woodman & Royal Oak are a fair way out and although I got a bus out to them I had to walk back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Local knowledge is always very useful when planning crawl routes,and I don't see much wrong with Oggy's original plan.
    Couldn't agree more. I wasn't rejecting or denigrating Oggy's suggested route, just seeing if we could incorporate some of the suggestions from others that had been made during the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The Woodman and Royal Oak seem sensible at the end of the day but with additional wild cards of The Dolphin and the three station pubs mentioned by Aqualung [Castle Vaults, the Station Hotel and the Albion Vaults].

Cross Foxes,Bull in the Barne,Old Buck's Head and Boathouse all seem to be at the edges of his main route and could be included as more wild cards.

A bus ride away to Evolution must surely be another for the hardy and not one for the main route.
    All good points, though as far as the three near the station are concerned, my own experience of the Castle Vaults rules it out for me, and the Station with its solitary handpump doesn't look too enticing either; Old Boots has done a recent reconaissance and the Albion Vaults, although still loud, appears to now have some decent real ale on.
    Come On You Hatters!