Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooden Top Inn, East Chinnock is it open?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfBristol View Post
    What in my post makes you think I didn't?
    The review by ETA eloquently describes the state of the building and the work that is going on, all the while the pub is open. Your initial post expressed doubt that the pub was open because of a defunct telephone number. The fact that a well-respected member of the Pubs Galore reviewing community had been there only a few weeks ago was not mentioned. Hence the assumption that you had not read the review. The alternative interpretation would be that you had read the review but did not trust the reviewer. If there is a further more innocent explanation, I apologise in advance.
    Come On You Hatters!

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Your comments don't imply you had
    I linked to web pages - surely that implies that I read them. If you read all the posts you will see that have shown appreciation for useful suggestions. I do not understand your third sentence.
    Last edited by ChrisOfBristol; 07-07-2019 at 18:19.

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Your initial post expressed doubt that the pub was open because of a defunct telephone number.
    As I said there is very little information about this pub on the Internet. The phone number is defunct. That suggests to me that it might have closed.

The fact that a well-respected member of the Pubs Galore reviewing community had been there only a few weeks ago was not mentioned. Hence the assumption that you had not read the review.
    I linked to his review, what more do you want?

The alternative interpretation would be that you had read the review but did not trust the reviewer.
    I didn't criticise his review. However see comment about phone number.
    Last edited by ChrisOfBristol; 07-07-2019 at 18:20.

You really need to calm down!

People have offered some suggestions in response to your initial request and some of your subsequent posts have come across as a bit rude in my opinion.
    I clicked on the link, saw the review from a month ago and assumed it was an open pub - I can see that the phone number not working rings a few alarm bells but if ETA was in there a month ago I'd be pretty confident that it is open.

You can never be 100% sure a pub is open without visiting it I'm afraid!

Anyway good luck and I hope you find the answers to your questions - all the regular posters on this forum are decent people and they will try to help with any query if they can - worth remembering when you respond to them!

And welcome to the forum !!!

I am a salmon !!

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    As you refer to adding the details to Whatpub have you reached out to Camra members in the local area to assist or not?
    I have asked, but noone knows. It's a very rural area and presumably there are no active members around.

Or would that be questioning your actions of due diligence already undertaken in your quest to save a journey to find out for yourself?
    ?

I appreciate it's a crap drive to find disappointment having done practically all pubs just north of it back to Bristol over the years and had to make revisits due to poor information on opening hours or that it's shut completely.
    Absolutely, a 7 1/2 hour return trip. That's exactly why I won't go until I am sure it is open and why I have searched the Web for information.

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    You really need to calm down! posts have come across as a bit rude in my opinion.
    Haha! You should read some of their posts from my point of view. For example "Cant believe you didn't check Pubs Galore reviews of the pub before you asked the question"
    Last edited by ChrisOfBristol; 07-07-2019 at 18:57.

Your opening sentence:

"All I can find about this pub The Wooden Top Inn is here https://mysweetpub.co.uk/yeovil-some...n-top-inn/9883". Which implies you either haven't read the review. Or have reason to doubt it.

How about "I've read ETA's review of 6th June. Is it possible the pub could have closed since then, as all I can find elsewhere about this pub ...", then we'd all have known where you were coming from. Instead of which it looks like you haven't read the review, or have totally discounted it. (For example, ETA might have visited in April but not written his review until June, which would have been a reasonable question for you to ask.)

I can see how some of the posts on this thread might have seemed hostile to you, but you need to also see it from the point of view of regular users of this forum. In a written medium like this it's very easy to misunderstand someone's approach, because there's no body language or tone of voice to help.

As a photographer, I can understand your reluctance to set out on a long trip only to find the pub no longer in business. Hope it all works out in the end.
    Come On You Hatters!

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Your opening sentence:"All I can find
    I still have no idea how you draw that conclusion from my post.