Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer Festivals

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ideally we need to make it so that it is easy for you to add them to the main site so that they appear for everyone.

Also A Swift One blog has just mentioned a couple of festivals.

SIBA has just announced that they will be holding their beer festival at the Palace Hotel Manchester 28th - 31st October.

300 beers overall with 48 available at any one time.

Long weekend in Manchester anyone?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

SIBA North competition in the Grand Room of the Palace Hotel, on Thursday 28th followed by a beer festival exhibiting 300 cask beers from SIBA North members (121 breweries). All beers to be dispensed by hand pump (48 at any given time) with sparklers and a fresh glass on each fill. Open to the public from 4 p.m. to 10.30 p.m. on the 28th, noon to 10.30 p.m. on the 29th and 30th. Pay on the door (price to be confirmed but probably £5) with discounted entry to card carrying CAMRA members. Refundable Souvenir lined glass on deposit/purchase; food available at all sessions; entertainment on Saturday.

hurrah for sparklers
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I usually pick up Hertfordshire’s Pints of View on my travels and will add the larger festivals and news of any closures or re-openings.

The thing I find most frustrating about the Add Beer Festival function (unless I’m using it wrongly) is the automatic population of the address from the postcode without an option to override or add more detail. I tend to get around this by putting something in the text.

The way they are displayed could be a bit clearer as well to give a better idea of the location. It’s not always apparent from the title so you have to click the link to see which town it’s in. Again, I tend to get around this by including this detail in the title.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I agree that both of those need addressing and are in mind for the next version.

In terms of what is already there at the moment - It is designed to type the full address in, not just the postcode, and won't work with just a postcode. We did just a postcode when adding pubs and the problem is that it is UK only, so as an experiment we used the full address for the festivals. The trouble is that full address needs to match up to Google as we are using it to get a map position which is needed for pubs. Anyway it hasn't worked so I will just do individual fields for address so that there is less temptation to just put a postcode in.

As to the location not showing that was just plain stupid, I guess because we show the festivals in their towns it didn't occur to me that it was necessary. Still useful to have more explanatory festival names though.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    As to the location not showing that was just plain stupid, I guess because we show the festivals in their towns it didn't occur to me that it was necessary. Still useful to have more explanatory festival names though.
    This is more of an issue with the Diary pages where the town isn't shown unless it appears in the title, e.g. the Newt festival which is currently on. If you are viewing the festivals as a list then the postal town is shown which is enough.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hmm hadn't really seen that. I don't fancy making those diary entries any longer. I think I will just suggest that place names should be included in the festival title.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hmm hadn't really seen that. I don't fancy making those diary entries any longer. I think I will just suggest that place names should be included in the festival title.
    I thinks that's probably sufficient Conrad, it's only a minor niggle. Most festivals do have the name in them anyway and people (perhaps Dave) seem to be putting in extra info with most.

Cheers

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Having just put the Tamworth festival in, I found the text box useful as Assembly Rooms didn't come into the address from the postcode, so just put that the Assembly rooms is about 10 minutes from the railway station. No problem.

Whilst I try not to self-promote on here (to Conrad's annoyance at times when I keep PMing him asking if it's ok for me to post something...)

Our Welsh Ale and Literature festival takes place September 24th-26th. It's grown from 20 ales last year (green hopped) to 50+ this year, every single one Welsh, includes meet the brewers with most of the Welsh brewers present, the festival opened by Buster Grant, chair of the Association of Welsh Independent Brewers, The Hay Brewery opened (please cross everything you've got that it will be ready by then) by Peter Amor, Chair of SIBA and Wye Valley, Tutored beer tasting and beer and food matching with Melissa Cole, and numerous other bits and bobs. The website (updated as and when I confirm details) is www.thehaybrewery.co.uk/festival
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*