Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 AUTUMN PUG Crawl

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I agree with voting for the maximum. More democratic. If two or three people can whittle it down to seven then they might as well as whittle it down to one and tell us where we are going.
    Fair point. I remember the poll max being extended some time ago but don't remember the details.

Here's the 17 or sixteen if we link Kidderminster and Stourbridge as suggested, so which ones are the real no-hopers and does anyone want to add anywhere else? (I'll regret saying that won't I?)

Loughborough
    Newark
    Lichfield
    Norwich
    Stourbridge
    Kidderminster
    Bridgnorth
    Stamford
    Northampton
    Kettering
    Grantham
    Cambridge
    Peterborough
    Ludlow
    Lincoln
    Shrewsbury
    Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth as one.

My feeling would be to drop the East Anglian cities (Norwich & Cambridge) and probably Ludlow too. Bridgnorth and Kidderminster are linked by rail but it's a heritage one and fearsomely expensive for just travelling on so I would drop Bridgnorth too. Those four towns are more difficult to travel to.

Default Stourbridge

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Here's the 17 or sixteen if we link Kidderminster and Stourbridge as suggested
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Personally I think Stourbridge has enough options to make it viable alone.
    I'm with Aqualung on this.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I used to know someone from Banbury and he always described it as the Midlands. Despite being in Oxfordshire the Northants border is on the Eastern edge of the town and the Warwickshire border is only a few miles to the North.
    I used to know someone from Long Eaton who described it as the North, even though Nottingham, five miles to the north-east, is called The Queen of the Midlands.

Here's the 17 or sixteen if we link Kidderminster and Stourbridge as suggested, so which ones are the real no-hopers and does anyone want to add anywhere else? (I'll regret saying that won't I?)

My feeling would be to drop the East Anglian cities (Norwich & Cambridge) and probably Ludlow too. Bridgnorth and Kidderminster are linked by rail but it's a heritage one and fearsomely expensive for just travelling on so I would drop Bridgnorth too. Those four towns are more difficult to travel to.
    On reflection, Ludlow is probably not a good idea. According to CAMRA, about a third don't open until at least 4.00pm which would mean a lot of doubling back to fit in enough pubs in a town with not that many. It's also very hilly too.
    Last edited by Tris39; 01-07-2019 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I'm with Aqualung on this.
    If nobody objects I'll offer my opinion as I know Stourbridge pretty well:

Barbridge, The Duke William, The Chequers Inn (JD Wetherspoon),Red House Boutique, The Old Bank, The Waggon & Horses, Plough & Harrow, The Queens Head, The Royal Exchange,

These are the pick of the pubs beer wise that are in the Stourbridge Central area - there are a few others which are OK as well.

If you do go to Stourbridge the number 9 bus would get you to Lye in 12 minutes (they run every 10 minutes or so) where you could take in :

Wheelie Thirsty, Sadler's Brewhouse & Bar, Windsor Castle, The Shovel Inn and possibly the new Beat Ales Tap House

You can get the train back to Brum from Lye as well.

I am not trying to persuade anyone, just thought I would offer my opinion!!

Wherever you go you will have a good day.

Del.

I am a salmon !!

Loughborough
    Stourbridge
    Stamford
    Kettering
    All of those appeal to me.

I agree with dropping Cambridge (suburb of London) and Norwich (suburb of Warsaw). If Stourbridge is that good, Kidderminster could be a wildcard to make it better still. Ludlow easy to get to but perhaps better on my own on a Saturday. East Coast main line all no hopers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I agree with dropping Cambridge (suburb of London) and Norwich (suburb of Warsaw). If Stourbridge is that good, Kidderminster could be a wildcard to make it better still. Ludlow easy to get to but perhaps better on my own on a Saturday. East Coast main line all no hopers for me.
    I think Cambridge should be dropped simply because it appeared on the last South poll. Bridgnorth has been deemed (probably correctly) as being too remote for a day out and Ludlow seems to have too few options. I've no objection to Stourbridge & Kidderminster being an option but it doesn't get my support.

I think Cambridge should be included because it's not in the South.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I think Cambridge should be included because it's not in the South.
    Seeing as we're never all going to agree on this one, how about adding a fourth group of 'Other' to the existing South/Midlands/North rotation, to include places such as East Anglia, Wales, West Country which don't easily fall into any of them? Assuming we continue with 3 per year, this would have the added benefit of moving the season back one each year, so we wouldn't always end up in the North in winter etc.

Just a thought, as it seems a shame to omit places like Cambridge and Norwich which would undoubtedly provide a good crawl just because we can't decide where to put them!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement