Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 11 July 2010)

Not sure who brews it these days (Marstons at the Wychwood Brewery?), but my beer of the week is Ushers 1824. A fine, light bitter (3.6%), it is the guest beer in the village club at the moment and proving very popular at just £2.25.

I also found it yesterday at this little treasure http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16772/ (which is probably going to be my pub of the month), and at £2.30 which is exceptional value for a country pub in Kent.

A quiet week beer and pubwise, but I enjoyed Sheps world cup offering 4:4:2.Billed as a" ten hop ale", this is well hopped, with a decent base to balance the hops. One of the better goldens, and certainly very refreshing. Probably using 10 varieties is over egging the pudding, as I tasted HOPS, but couldn't distinguish any individual characteristics. Perhaps that was just me, but it was certainly very welcome on a scorchingly hot afternoon.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Well after an unsuccsesfull (beer wise) 10 pub crawl around Newport last night , couple of nice pubs but its all Pedigree , London Pride and Hobgoblin nothing intresting or local , it was back to Oakengates for a few , Rowton33 in the Crown was pretty good but was blown away by the Salamander Tearaway and Accorn Green Bullet in the Station .
    Its a tough one but i think the Accorn Green Bullet just edges it
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

An early lead by Newmans Summerberry Steam was almost overtaken by Outlaw "Stars and Stripes" but on balance the creamy, fruity Welsh Caerphilly based Newmans have it, yacci dah.

A bit of a barren week beer wise with yesterday providing my first and only pub outing of the week. I did manage 3 pints of various Crouch Vale beers at the Kelveden Free Music Festival on Saturday but they were poorly kept which was a shame as their beers are generally pretty decent. The heat probably didn't help things. Yesterday found me baclk in my old hometown of Chessington where I popped into the Cap In Hand for a spot of Sunday Lunch and demolished an excellently refreshing pint of Roosters G.C.B. (Good Cheer Beer) among others. Without doubt, my BotW.
    Last edited by RogerB; 12-07-2010 at 09:29.

Completely the opposite for me with with a trip to Derby over two days this weekend incuding a visit to the beer festival on Saturday.

Thornbridge Lumford was probably my beer of the festival but the BOTW is going to be....

Suicide Blonde from Brew Company. Tried at the newly reopened Greyhound in Derby.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 12-07-2010 at 10:00.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Suicide Blonde from Brew Company. Tried at the newly reopened Greyhound in Derby.
    I hope you didn't drink it INXS.

I'm here all week.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I hope you didn't drink it INXS.

I'm here all week.
    By the time we got back to the hotel at 11:30 p.m. having arrived at the beer festival just after midday and then having visited Greyhound, Limes, Nando's (not good for beer), Brewery Tap @ The Royal Standard, Smithfield, Ryans Bar, Babington & Brunswick. I think we were around the TOXS mark.

The girl who served me at the Greyhound was blonde. She didn't look depressed though, so she was probably going to be OK.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This week it's a straight fight betwen Otley Colomb-O (from the Rake in Borough Market) and Kelham Island Wish You Were Here (from the Wheatsheaf, London Bridge).

It's a very close call but I'm going to give it to the Otley - those citrus flavours were perfect for the heatwave in the city.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I'm with Mr Trench this week ,my Acorn Brewery Green Bullet ,a great IPA was a worthy BOTW supped while changing trains at Dewsbury in The West Riding Refereshment Rooms,which must be in the running for my July POTM.