Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Ones that got away...

Spritzer Swallower

Default Ones that got away...

I started a similar thread a few years ago regarding pubs you miss the most. In a similar vein, which pubs had you always been angling for, but never got chance to visit? I always feel these are like an itch that you can't scratch. Mine, in no particular order;

Ye Olde Nelson, Salford- Chapel Street is a sad state of affairs these days, and this is probably the greatest loss.

Ship Victory, Chester- always saw it from the walls, was a GBG regular in the 00s, I overlooked it too many times on a crawl...

Crocker's Folly, London (I'm aware that this is open again now, but it looks more like a Lebanese restaurant than the boozer it was.)

Land O' Cakes, Manchester- pretty unique name, an imposing boozer from an era when the NQ had more grit and character than it does now.

Pot of beer, Manchester- would have made a great triple header with the Angel and Marble Arch but I never made it here until it was too late.

Chain Locker, North Shields- opposite the ferry landing and with a great exterior, I first passed by a few days after its closure.

Whip, Leeds- A pretty well-known pub, ruined before I ever got to crawl round Leeds.

Cock & Bottle, Bradford- NI pub that I had always wanted to include on a Bradford crawl, which is something I still haven't done.

Market Tavern, Birmingham- lots of good boozers in Digbeth, this was always there but was never open. A one-time NI pub.

Vulcan, Cardiff- seemed to split opinion, I know it was down-at-heel but would have liked to see it for myself- i tend to like such places.

I'm sure there are more that have slipped my mind. Sorry about the northern bias!
    Last edited by Wiganer; 29-05-2019 at 13:07.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    I started a similar thread a few years ago regarding pubs you miss the most. In a similar vein, which pubs had you always been angling for, but never got chance to visit? I always feel these are like an itch that you can't scratch. Mine, in no particular order;
    I'm kicking myself for not visiting The Carlton Tavern which isn't far from where I live. It didn't so much close, rather the developer ran a bulldozer through it without warning - even the TV was left on the wall! It had fabulous tiling as you can see from the photos. Apparently the court has ordered the developer to rebuild an exact copy, documented on the What?ub page.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Apparently the court has ordered the developer to rebuild an exact copy, documented on the What?ub page.
    ...and this work appears to have commenced. Perhaps we should resolve to visit when it reopens?
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round

I'm sure others will occur to me, but the one that springs to mind right now is The Bier Keller on Piccadilly in Manchester. I seem to recall it had a little swinging sign attached to the wall outside and it looked like it might have been a cellar bar. I passed it many times during my early drinking years but never ventured in.

On the flip side, I was glad to have visited The Crescent in Salford before it closed. I only went once but would have been happy to go again.

In general, I sometimes find myself in pubs that have obviously had a fairly recent refurbishment, and I find myself wondering what they would have been like prior to the refurb, what the layout and décor was like, that kind of thing.

Edit: Another one just occurred to me - The Fairway in Stockport. It used to get very mixed reviews and I had been curious to try it just for the experience, but I missed my chance.
    Last edited by RealAleRobUK; 05-06-2019 at 11:06. Reason: Added the Fairway

This Space For Hire

The one that has always niggled me was the original Halfway House on Garratt Lane in Earlsfield, when I did the full set of Young's pubs back in the 70s, which I recollect was somewhere around 160. When I made it there all that was left of it was the post of the sign and it was my only failure on the list. A replacement Halfway House did open some years later in a shop conversion the other side of the railway line but it was not a real consolation.

Mind you, Young's pubs were proper pubs in those days...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

To me one that got away is a pub anywhere where if I had a chance to go in it while open (e.g taking photo's /confirming still open on recce of new area I want to do and looks the most down on hilt) and then closed when actually trying to do it. I drink lager and tick boxes for every pub on here so not the normal member view that the above responses are based on but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    The one that has always niggled me was the original Halfway House on Garratt Lane in Earlsfield, when I did the full set of Young's pubs back in the 70s, which I recollect was somewhere around 160. When I made it there all that was left of it was the post of the sign and it was my only failure on the list. A replacement Halfway House did open some years later in a shop conversion the other side of the railway line but it was not a real consolation.

Mind you, Young's pubs were proper pubs in those days...
    It was 135 when I did it and I remember one called the Halfway House, For me the rot began with Young's when they removed the public bar from the Windmill on Clapham Common. It's all been downhill since then!