Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it the heat, or are my taste buds off?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I tried that with a pint of Titanic Stout in the Royal Exchange - i waited for ages, went to the loo, came back and the pint had been taken away
    You should have just sunk it

I have found this to be a problem in my local pubs. As the temperature rises it becomes harder to sink a pint of ale. My preferred alternative keg beers are not available only smooth flows. That leaves me with super chilled lagers. It has an edge and is refreshing on a hot day but so short on taste.Here in England it is unusual to have long periods of hot weather and I believe ale has evolved to suit our colder climes.

Glass Half Full

As has been said, there's not normally a genuine excuse for this in a modern day - Our ales all run through an inline cololer, and I think that the pipes are jacketed or within a python for at least part of their route to the bar. I tend to make a change of .1 or .2 degrees on the cooler in the summer and it keeps the beer at a nice drinkable temperature that delays the flattening process. I did notice on the festival stock towards the end of the day that beers were starting to pour flat - I put it down to the Filton cooling system just not being able to cope with a hot summer's day.

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    So, does anyone else feel that in the summer months when its very hot, there is a dip in quality of real ales - or is it just me?
    Not just you. There was one day a couple of summers ago (following a rather hot week) where I had a sour pint in four out of five pubs.

Thanks for all your replies. I was convinced I was losing the taste for the ales.

I'll have to pop up to the Queslett to try their ales. Never had a bad pint there. Even at the height of Summer. Great, even if its an Ember.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I tried that with a pint of Titanic Stout in the Royal Exchange - i waited for ages, went to the loo, came back and the pint had been taken away
    Reminds me of a period, a coupla years ago, when in me local JDW you didn't dare go to the loo, otherwise young Sam would make off with your glass. We couldn't decide, was she an undercover agent for the Temperance League, or just a pain in the arse.quickly..........
    I still leave me glasses with me glass..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

I must have a trust worthy look about me, or that of something completely harmless, because often ladies will leave their drinks with me for safe keeping while they pop off to powder their noses. I do not know whether to feel honoured or inadequate.Then again they could be police women looking for date rapers which at least sounds exciting.

If I have to leave my drink I stick it on top of my newspaper with a pencil or beer mat, if its a clean one ,on top. I do know of a black labrador who will make short work of an unattended pint. He enjoys summer nights in the beer garden and rarely knocks over a glass.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    If I have to leave my drink I stick it on top of my newspaper with a pencil or beer mat, if its a clean one ,on top. I do know of a black labrador who will make short work of an unattended pint. He enjoys summer nights in the beer garden and rarely knocks over a glass.
    Here used too be a Old guy that came in the Wetherspoons in Wood green that used too put hes false teeth in the bottom of the glass when he left it unattended.
    Mind you some of there customers would nick you shoe laces if you stood still too long in that place.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Here used too be a Old guy that came in the Wetherspoons in Wood green that used too put hes false teeth in the bottom of the glass when he left it unattended.
    Mind you some of there customers would nick you shoe laces if you stood still too long in that place.
    I would love to have dropped a Steradent tablet into it.

My one stepson was in one of the London Unis and had a room at Wood Green which I found a scary place. I did however find a couple of friendly neighborhood pubs away from the main shopping area but cannot remember their names. One had a Hereford connection in its title.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    . I do know of a black labrador who will make short work of an unattended pint. He enjoys summer nights in the beer garden and rarely knocks over a glass.
    I don't expect it comes as much of a surprise, but I used to have a lurcher like that. Embarrassing, and on occasion, downright dangerous, but then I always had him to watch me back. Now those were the days...
    His name was Oz and he was bluidy expensive in a pub, he lovedbeer, he even drank Strongbow and would fight anything or anyone for a Guinness. I love all me dogs but Oz was special..........
    That's him in me new pic, no need to lock the car, it's goin nowhere..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........