Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Uxbridge

Hybrid View

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Here's my opinion, although I note I haven't formally reviewed any of the pubs.

The Queens Head is a good shout - it had a refurb about a year ago - and you also have the Three Tuns and the Metropolitan within a couple of minutes walk. Some of those do a CAMRA discount I think and sell decent ales. I'd forget the Fig Tree (which is an old police station from which the Metropolitan opposite got its name)

I wouldn't bother with the JDW, it's quite depressing. As is the Irish bar a few doors away.

The General Eliott is OK and, although both are a bit 'tired', you have the Dolphin and the Pipemakers Arms within walking distance. Be prepared for the latter to be closed though, their opening hours can be sketchy.

The pubs in Denham Village are also a good shout, and all close together so you can get a cab and walk between them.

I'd also endorse the Hop & Vine in Ruislip if you are stopping off there. For some reason PuG does not show walking route from Ruislip tube (Piccadilly Line) but it's a fairly straight route and only a 10-15 minute walk.

Enjoy the day.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Here's my opinion, although I note I haven't formally reviewed any of the pubs.

The Queens Head is a good shout - it had a refurb about a year ago - and you also have the Three Tuns and the Metropolitan within a couple of minutes walk. Some of those do a CAMRA discount I think and sell decent ales. I'd forget the Fig Tree (which is an old police station from which the Metropolitan opposite got its name)

I wouldn't bother with the JDW, it's quite depressing. As is the Irish bar a few doors away.

The General Eliott is OK and, although both are a bit 'tired', you have the Dolphin and the Pipemakers Arms within walking distance. Be prepared for the latter to be closed though, their opening hours can be sketchy.

The pubs in Denham Village are also a good shout, and all close together so you can get a cab and walk between them.

I'd also endorse the Hop & Vine in Ruislip if you are stopping off there. For some reason PuG does not show walking route from Ruislip tube (Piccadilly Line) but it's a fairly straight route and only a 10-15 minute walk.

Enjoy the day.
    You have pretty much summed up the way I see it.

The Queens Head, Three Tuns and Metropolitan (and the Fig Tree) are ideal for the tube station - they look a good bet pre match.

The Eliot, Pipemakers and Dolphin (along with the Beefeater) look a decent shout for later. There are 4 pubs down the road in Cowley as well but I haven't really looked at them yet.

The Hop & Vine was shut on the last bank holiday Monday so doesn't look like it would open for this one.

I am a salmon !!