Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Uxbridge

Default Uxbridge

Off to the play off final and I have booked a hotel in Uxbridge (cheap deal, I booked it 2 months ago !)

There are a few pubs there and I will try to do them all but nothing stands out - anybody been recently?

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Off to the play off final and I have booked a hotel in Uxbridge (cheap deal, I booked it 2 months ago !)

There are a few pubs there and I will try to do them all but nothing stands out - anybody been recently?
    I've only been to the JDW in Uxbridge and wasn't impressed but it's currently GBG listed. JJ Moons at Ruislip was a long standing GBG entry but not now. It's right opposite Ruislip Manor tube. The Hop & Vine which you would probably walk to from Ruislip station is a micropub that I found a bit expensive and a bit crafty but is probably worth a look. Back in Uxbridge the Queens Head is GBG listed but I know nothing about it. As for match day your best bet may be to grab an early table at the Uxbridge or Ruislip JJDW and hope they are not hiking the prices. It doesn't take that long to get to Wembley Park. The JDW near Harrow On the Hill is an early one and quite small. I suspect it has only survived as it's used for staff training. The whole area is called Metroland so you're unlikely to find more than suburban barns or more recent shop conversion bars.

There are four reasonable (if expensive) pubs out at Denham, a couple of miles away.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Uxbridge is on the Grand Union and I often stop there ,although my last trip was over two years ago.It's never been a great drinking town and on my last trip I couldn't understand why the Good Yarn ('spoons) and the Queen's Head were listed in the GBG,although there was a decent pint of Theakston OP in the latter.The best pub IMHO in Uxbridge is The General Eliott ,(which is canalside) although this may have been in large part because of a few drinkable pints of Adnams Ghost Ship on that particular visit.It is however a proper pub.

Good luck on your search around Uxbridge there are at least a lot of venues.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 19-05-2019 at 13:16.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've only been to the JDW in Uxbridge and wasn't impressed but it's currently GBG listed. JJ Moons at Ruislip was a long standing GBG entry but not now. It's right opposite Ruislip Manor tube. The Hop & Vine which you would probably walk to from Ruislip station is a micropub that I found a bit expensive and a bit crafty but is probably worth a look. Back in Uxbridge the Queens Head is GBG listed but I know nothing about it. As for match day your best bet may be to grab an early table at the Uxbridge or Ruislip JJDW and hope they are not hiking the prices. It doesn't take that long to get to Wembley Park. The JDW near Harrow On the Hill is an early one and quite small. I suspect it has only survived as it's used for staff training. The whole area is called Metroland so you're unlikely to find more than suburban barns or more recent shop conversion bars.
    I intend to hop off the tube at some point to pop in the spoons at Ruislip Manor. I have been to Harrow a few times and done all the pubs there so I'll give that a miss.
    I have been doing a bit of research and the recent Facebook posts for The Queens Head look promising, with quite a few showing a row of 5 handpumps with some changing beers on (a few Cotleigh, Twickenham and Marlow beers) Also looks like a Camra discount.
    I did look at The Hop & Vine but it doesn't open on Mondays - the day I am there!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Uxbridge is on the Grand Union and I often stop there ,although my last trip was over two years ago.It's never been a great drinking town and on my last trip I couldn't understand why the Good Yarn ('spoons) and the Queen's Head were listed in the GBG,although there was a decent pint of Theakston OP in the latter.The best pub IMHO in Uxbridge is The General Eliott ,(which is canalside) although this may have been in large part because of a few drinkable pints of Adnams Ghost Ship on that particular visit.It is however a proper pub.

Good luck on your search around Uxbridge there are at least a lot of venues.
    The General Eliott is on the list to do along with the other 3 pubs nearby! I will try to do some updated reviews for them - if I can remember anything!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    There are four reasonable (if expensive) pubs out at Denham, a couple of miles away.
    That might be worth a shout for a quick taxi ride if we get the time, they look to be decent pubs. I hadn't looked out of town to be honest but you never know!

I am a salmon !!

I did look at The Hop & Vine but it doesn't open on Mondays - the day I am there!
    If it's the Bank Holiday it may well be open.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Here's my opinion, although I note I haven't formally reviewed any of the pubs.

The Queens Head is a good shout - it had a refurb about a year ago - and you also have the Three Tuns and the Metropolitan within a couple of minutes walk. Some of those do a CAMRA discount I think and sell decent ales. I'd forget the Fig Tree (which is an old police station from which the Metropolitan opposite got its name)

I wouldn't bother with the JDW, it's quite depressing. As is the Irish bar a few doors away.

The General Eliott is OK and, although both are a bit 'tired', you have the Dolphin and the Pipemakers Arms within walking distance. Be prepared for the latter to be closed though, their opening hours can be sketchy.

The pubs in Denham Village are also a good shout, and all close together so you can get a cab and walk between them.

I'd also endorse the Hop & Vine in Ruislip if you are stopping off there. For some reason PuG does not show walking route from Ruislip tube (Piccadilly Line) but it's a fairly straight route and only a 10-15 minute walk.

Enjoy the day.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Here's my opinion, although I note I haven't formally reviewed any of the pubs.

The Queens Head is a good shout - it had a refurb about a year ago - and you also have the Three Tuns and the Metropolitan within a couple of minutes walk. Some of those do a CAMRA discount I think and sell decent ales. I'd forget the Fig Tree (which is an old police station from which the Metropolitan opposite got its name)

I wouldn't bother with the JDW, it's quite depressing. As is the Irish bar a few doors away.

The General Eliott is OK and, although both are a bit 'tired', you have the Dolphin and the Pipemakers Arms within walking distance. Be prepared for the latter to be closed though, their opening hours can be sketchy.

The pubs in Denham Village are also a good shout, and all close together so you can get a cab and walk between them.

I'd also endorse the Hop & Vine in Ruislip if you are stopping off there. For some reason PuG does not show walking route from Ruislip tube (Piccadilly Line) but it's a fairly straight route and only a 10-15 minute walk.

Enjoy the day.
    You have pretty much summed up the way I see it.

The Queens Head, Three Tuns and Metropolitan (and the Fig Tree) are ideal for the tube station - they look a good bet pre match.

The Eliot, Pipemakers and Dolphin (along with the Beefeater) look a decent shout for later. There are 4 pubs down the road in Cowley as well but I haven't really looked at them yet.

The Hop & Vine was shut on the last bank holiday Monday so doesn't look like it would open for this one.

I am a salmon !!