Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Modern Beer styles

Default Modern Beer styles

Confused of Yorkshire writes;

This evening my local real ale emporium had four beers on styled “Blonde”, they ranged in colour from “pale” to mid-brown, all around the 4% mark, which of course set me thinking. When I were a lad there were only a few fairly clearly defined styles, but now we have all sorts.

Thirty years ago, the weakest was MILD in light or dark versions with strengths usually between 3% & 3.7% , “dark” meant ruby through to almost black, light MILDs being about the same as a bitter in colour but the same strength as dark MILD and as lightly hopped, Marstons Merrie Monk at 4.3% was considered a very strong MILD.

Bitters were either “Boys” in the West Country (3%-3.5%), ordinary Bitter (3.4-4%) or Best Bitter/Premium Bitter (3.8-4.7%) occasionally there would be something stronger like Fullers ESB or the then sweetish and fresh hoppy aroma'd, Gales HSB; but colour wise they were all mainly mid browns except Boddingtons which was reknowned for being “straw” coloured. Hopping rates varied but all were noticably hoppier than MILD although not as highly hopped as some of todays beers, Holts Bitter was considered very, very hoppy.

Next was Old Ale or Barley Wine (usually only called Barley Wine when bottled, Owd Roger not withstanding) which had strengths of 5%-10% and would be dark amber to dark brown often with a slightly sweet edge.

Lastly were the stouts which pretty much meant Guinness at 4.2% and black as yer 'at, although Murphys and later Beamish made an appearance, the latter two having a more "spicy" taste to Guinness. I have missed out oddities like Gales 5X which was a blend and seasonal.

Enough history, so what about now? Can anyone tell me the styles of beer we have to choose from and what are their defining characteristics? Is it just a marketing ploy to call a “Bitter” a “Blonde” because no-one actually knows what the style is meant to be?
    Last edited by oldboots; 03-07-2010 at 20:51. Reason: Split infinitive

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Confuses the hell outta me these days , it was bad enough trying to workout the difference between a Pale Ale (Bass , Pedigree etc ) and a best bitter . With all the variations today i have given up trying to work it out
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Confused of Yorkshire writes;

This evening my local real ale emporium had four beers on styled “Blonde”, they ranged in colour from “pale” to mid-brown, all around the 4% mark, which of course set me thinking. When I were a lad there were only a few fairly clearly defined styles, but now we have all sorts.

Thirty years ago, the weakest was MILD in light or dark versions with strengths usually between 3% & 3.7% , “dark” meant ruby through to almost black, light MILDs being about the same as a bitter in colour but the same strength as dark MILD and as lightly hopped, Marstons Merrie Monk at 4.3% was considered a very strong MILD.

Bitters were either “Boys” in the West Country (3%-3.5%), ordinary Bitter (3.4-4%) or Best Bitter/Premium Bitter (3.8-4.7%) occasionally there would be something stronger like Fullers ESB or the then sweetish and fresh hoppy aroma'd, Gales HSB; but colour wise they were all mainly mid browns except Boddingtons which was reknowned for being “straw” coloured. Hopping rates varied but all were noticably hoppier than MILD although not as highly hopped as some of todays beers, Holts Bitter was considered very, very hoppy.

Next was Old Ale or Barley Wine (usually only called Barley Wine when bottled, Owd Roger not withstanding) which had strengths of 5%-10% and would be dark amber to dark brown often with a slightly sweet edge.

Lastly were the stouts which pretty much meant Guinness at 4.2% and black as yer 'at, although Murphys and later Beamish made an appearance, the latter two having a more "spicy" taste to Guinness. I have missed out oddities like Gales 5X which was a blend and seasonal.

Enough history, so what about now? Can anyone tell me the styles of beer we have to choose from and what are their defining characteristics? Is it just a marketing ploy to call a “Bitter” a “Blonde” because no-one actually knows what the style is meant to be?
    We must be of a similar generation OB. I quite like things simple and orderly, and still refer to my well thumbed copy of Frank Baillie's Beer Drinkers companion, and consider myself a Family Brewer Nut Brown Draught sort of chap.
    I tend to steer away from talk of "style" as it tends towards Beer fascism, a topic which crops up with boring frequency on many of the beer blogs, along with the tendancy to rubbish British hops in favour of US or NZ. I love Cascades in a beer-my beer of 09, Late Red from Sheps uses'em, albeit grown here in Kent, but I never fail to point out that some of the best (in my opinion, of course) beers currently avaiable, such as Wesetrham's Viceroy IPA use the humble and industrial Target.
    Getting back to the topic, we have to understand that "Bitter" is so old hat, and as for "Best"...
    Well done, a "Golden" or" Blonde"-is there a difference?- is a fine beer, such as Gadds No 3 or Exemore Gold,but too many are dull and pale imitations.
    I hope there is still room for MILD and Old in the pantheon of English beers, but as I said,style isn't the thing:if the beer's good, quality shines through, be it bitter, best, old,gold, MILD or dare I say it...lager.

As far as I'm concerned there are only 2 types of beers: good ones and better ones.

My actual knowledge of beer , brewing ,hops ,malting and the rest could be written on the back of a fag packet, should anyone wish to pop out to the smoking shelter and fetch one. I have drunk an awful lot of the stuff and appreciated its taste, colour and in some cases the history of it. It is like so many other hobbies, some just like playing with the finished article while others want to get to grips with the mechanics of the thing. When I collected stamps I gave no thought to the skills of the production process. I am sorry to say its the same with beer. The taste is the big thing with me.I have no idea who made the stuff or what went into it and unless it says on the label where it was made.

Arwkrite will now retire to the corner, don the conical hat and sit on the stool in shame. But all is not lost for Arwkrite had the foresight to bring with him a great tasting pint which he will enjoy, while others discuss the water supply used Artpharts Millenium Pile Blaster Blonde.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I agree with Awkrite

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I agree with Awkrite
    Well said, those two men.
    When I started, late forties, I don't remember 'style of beer' coming in to it, beer seemed to consist of stout, dark, light, best or the guvners choice. Quality was a choice from good, fair, crap or soup. Unless you were a seriously big chap, you made yer choice and drank what wuz pulled. I drank dark most of the time, stout for the rest.drinkup:
    Now you know why I think we're living though a golden age of ale..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........