Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Four Counties, 14 days, watery pub crawl.

Thanks for the replies.

Oggwyn Trench. I am going to try to work Cheswardine into the itinerary. The two pubs seem well worth visiting.

Rob. I would appreciate any advice on Penkridge, Brewood, Grt Haywood or Stone.

Agree with the comment about the Willeymoor we have previously enjoyed a couple of nights there in the past. Unfortunately we are not going up the Llangollen this time.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Keep meaning to get up to Cheswardine myself , but theres no public transport from here and if i drive i can only have a pint , the Fox And Hounds has a good rep for food and beer , Graham from Willeymoor reckons the beer in the Red Lion is fantastic and wants some for his own pub , but they wont sell him any ! The Wharf Tavren at Goldstone Wharf is a popular pub for food , not sure about the beer not been for ages
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We did the Red Lion at Cheswardine at a caravan rally as they have a site behind the pub. Hitched a lift to Market Drayton on a Narrow Boat and had a fantastic trip with an elderly couple who used to work the barges and showed us some wonderful 0ld photo albums of their working days.

Second thoughts.....

Penkridge – The Boat Inn is actually on the canal with a load of seating canalside. The beer is generally from the nationals and because of its position it gets very touristy. There’s a good bit of mooring above the lock in Penkridge which means you won’t have a load of grockles or gongoozlers sat watching your every move from the pub seating. If you do moor above there’s a tunnel that takes you down past the lock that is full of bats!!

The Star is on the Market Place in the village centre. Marstons pub with a decent range of ale. This one is a proper local when the tourists have all gone.

If you carry on towards the railway station you’ll come to The Littleton Arms which is a huge foody pub on the main Wolves road A449. Sell decent beer though on several handpulls.

Just up the road is The Railway Inn which is a typical roadhouse doing decent beer from the nationals.

There are more pubs in Penkridge but I haven’t visited them.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Talking to a Stafford CAMRA member last night and he recomended The Swan at Whiston just outside Penkridge
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Only just caught this thread,so hope this gets through before you start cruising.If you like good ale.....

Stone try both the The Swan and The Royal Exchange.
    Stoke moor up at Glebe bridge and visit The White Star.
    Consall Forge Black Lion is wonderful.
    Kidsgrove Blue Bell
    High Offley The Anchor is a case of the emporers clothes IMHO.Awful 6x from a handpump that doesnt work and pints topped up from slops in a plasic flask but all other boaters rave about the place.Large campsite nearby.I couldnt find any positives so didnt review on here.
    Brewood The Bridge Inn
    Radford Bridge moor up here ,avoid the Radford Bank Inn and walk 1/2 mile towards Stafford to The Spittal Brook .

I've just navigated From Macclesfield to Stone and am moored up below Stone bottom lock until August 2nd and will have passed Great Haywood that afternoon on my way down the T&M enroute for Coventry.Working not boating until Aug 2nd sadly.

Enjoy your trip ,good luck on the beer front .

BF

Hi again everyone. Got back on Saturday. Fed up? You bet i am. Apart from the route i had originally posted we also managed to do a little extra by heading down towards, but unfortunately not reaching, Kinver. I took my lappy and newly acquired T-mobile dongle on the trip with the hope of putting up a few reviews on the main site as we went along but at the few places where i could get a connection i was not able to access the main site due to T-mobiles content lock and the pages on the forum were so slow to load i gave up. Now i,m home if someone can point me to the ultra-idiots guide to posting reviews and adding new listings it would be much appreciated.

Found some great pubs, some superb beers and one or two ordinary ones. Rather than boil my cabbages twice i will post reviews when i find out how.

A few of the beery highlights were the Black Lion at Consall Forge both for the pub itself and its location plus on the night we were there it was the last night of its beer festival. Shucks! The Blue Bell at Kidsgrove was everything it promised to be and is well worth a visit. A good find was the Commercial Hotel at Wheelock which is a well lived in, unaltered public bar in, i presume, a hotel although i could see no evidence of it being still a hotel.

Sadly i find myself agreeing with Bucking F in the above post regarding the beer in the Anchor, High Offley although the pub itself is worth a visit.

We spent our last night in Stone doing the excellent Royal Exchange and the Swan, later finding ourselves, worse for wear, in JDWs Poste of Stone eating three £3 meals between the two of us. All round a good 16 day pub crawl, including farewell and we,re back drink in the local.

Bucking F. I think we may have been in Blue Bell on the same night (i am presuming you are travelling around with Thuck Phat). We were in on Tuesday 20th and the same beers were available as in TPs review on the main site.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Now i,m home if someone can point me to the ultra-idiots guide to posting reviews and adding new listings it would be much appreciated.
    To review, you will need to be logged into the main site, then find the pub. The quickest way is usually to post the name and town into the search (or postcode if you know it), so Black Lion Stoke gives you a fairly good set with the top one being the one you are looking for. Once there click on the 'Add review' button to the right of the reviews heading. If you want to leave a rating click on one of the circled numbers, and submit the review by clicking the 'submit' button when done.

To add pubs click on the 'Add pub' link at the top of most pages on the site. You will need to know the postcode (frequently found on www.yell.co.uk or the www.royalmail.co.uk) to add pubs.