Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Sheffield Crawl July 2019

  1. #41
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've got a question I'm sure you can answer, I had the impression that Abbeydale had more than just the twos tied houses. Was this once the case? I've been to the Devonshire Cat twice and it had completely passed me by that it was an Abbeydale tied house!
    Just the two: https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/directory/. Can't recall if this was ever any different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was toying with the idea of getting a bus or train out to Dronfield mainly for the Coach & Horses. I'm beginning to think it may be better going there from Chesterfield or even from a stay in Derby or Nottingham. Any thoughts?.
    I've not been to the Coach & Horses, as it's a Thornbridge pub. The 43 bus stops close by and it's on the Sheffield side of Dronfield, so I would guess doing it from Sheffield would be better than Chesterfield. Train from Nottingham (or Derby or Chesterfield) to Dronfield every hour, then 43 bus would do too, if you don't like long bus journeys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It looks like the Bath House will be my starting point for the main event. My adopted Spoons will be the Bankers Draft as it's close to where I'm staying. The one I'd thought about revisiting is the Francis Newton but it would have to fit in with something else.
    Bath Hotel was my local for many years, and in my view Thornbridge have messed it about too much, but if you've not been before, or even if you have, then it's still worth a visit. I've not been to the Francis Newton for three or four years, but it always struck me as a pretty poor pub, but then I never was a great fan of Spoons. The best thing about the Bankers Draft is the back door which leads directly to the Dove and Rainbow. I would have thought The Benjamin Huntsman (JD Wetherspoon) was the best of the town centre Spoons.
    Come On You Hatters!

  2. #42
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've not been to the Coach & Horses, as it's a Thornbridge pub.
    You have a problem with Thornbridge Will?
    Honest question, I'm intrigued .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #43
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    You have a problem with Thornbridge Will?
    Honest question, I'm intrigued .
    Fair point. I just don't like the taste of most of their beers. Some of them remind my of sherbet lemon dabs that we used to get when I was a kid. I think Jaipur is vastly overrated. Also I don't like what they did to the Bath Hotel, which used to be a friendly local with a small drinking corridor. They have taken the curtains off the windows (curtain rails still left in place) so that the place feels echoing and cold, and there's always a member of staff with a laptop open on the section of bar counter in the drinking corridor, which in my view disrespects the pub's history. But apart from that, no, got nothing against them.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #44
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Fair point. I just don't like the taste of most of their beers. Some of them remind my of sherbet lemon dabs that we used to get when I was a kid. I think Jaipur is vastly overrated. Also I don't like what they did to the Bath Hotel, which used to be a friendly local with a small drinking corridor. They have taken the curtains off the windows (curtain rails still left in place) so that the place feels echoing and cold, and there's always a member of staff with a laptop open on the section of bar counter in the drinking corridor, which in my view disrespects the pub's history. But apart from that, no, got nothing against them.
    Fair answer.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  5. #45
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Notting Hill
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Fair point. I just don't like the taste of most of their beers. Some of them remind my of sherbet lemon dabs that we used to get when I was a kid. I think Jaipur is vastly overrated. Also I don't like what they did to the Bath Hotel, which used to be a friendly local with a small drinking corridor. They have taken the curtains off the windows (curtain rails still left in place) so that the place feels echoing and cold, and there's always a member of staff with a laptop open on the section of bar counter in the drinking corridor, which in my view disrespects the pub's history. But apart from that, no, got nothing against them.
    Ever tried there Wye ale? It's brewed with cucumbers. Why? would be a better name, IMHO.

  6. #46
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Ever tried there Wye ale? It's brewed with cucumbers.
    Yes , I quite like it, but then I have strange tastes, yesterday in The Baliffs Tap They had a Blueberry and Mocha Stout on, Convinced it wouldn't work but daft enough to give it a go, I had a half, very nice and worked for me.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  7. #47
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Notting Hill
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Yes , I quite like it, but then I have strange tastes, yesterday in The Baliffs Tap They had a Blueberry and Mocha Stout on, Convinced it wouldn't work but daft enough to give it a go, I had a half, very nice and worked for me.
    Ever tried this? Not sure if I've tried this brew, but I'm sure I've tried something similar with this beer's surprise ingredient!

    https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/belvoi...e-brew/141811/

  8. #48
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Ever tried this? Not sure if I've tried this brew, but I'm sure I've tried something similar with this beer's surprise ingredient!

    https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/belvoi...e-brew/141811/
    Can't say I have, would have to try it out of curiosity if I did spy it anywhere.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  9. #49
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Just the two: https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/directory/. Can't recall if this was ever any different.
    I could have sworn that I looked at their web site years ago and found they had several pubs.

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've not been to the Coach & Horses, as it's a Thornbridge pub. The 43 bus stops close by and it's on the Sheffield side of Dronfield, so I would guess doing it from Sheffield would be better than Chesterfield. Train from Nottingham (or Derby or Chesterfield) to Dronfield every hour, then 43 bus would do too, if you don't like long bus journeys.
    I really raised this as I noticed there's a second GBG entry the Dronfield Arms near the rail station and it's a late opener. If I spent a day there I could enjoy the wonderful Thornbridge Ales in the C & H before (hopefully) getting that bus back to the town centre.

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    and in my view Thornbridge have messed it about too much, but if you've not been before, or even if you have, then it's still worth a visit. I've not been to the Francis Newton for three or four years, but it always struck me as a pretty poor pub, but then I never was a great fan of Spoons. The best thing about the Bankers Draft is the back door which leads directly to the Dove and Rainbow. I would have thought The Benjamin Huntsman (JD Wetherspoon) was the best of the town centre Spoons.
    I've not been to the Bath HOTEL and am looking forward to a nice pint of Jaipur or something there.
    The Francis Newton is an unusual Spoons that is probably my favourite of the Sheffield outlets. I would have given it a higher score if the beer choice had been better. I went to the Benjamin Huntsman on a Friday evening so haven't seen it at it's best.
    I'll try and get to that Dove & Rainbow, I haven't checked out if there's anything else near the hotel.

  10. #50
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Can't say I have, would have to try it out of curiosity if I did spy it anywhere.
    Same here, I love stilton but think I would prefer it in a sarnie with some rocket and watercress.

Similar Threads

  1. Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019
    By Bucking Fastard in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 12-04-2019, 21:15
  2. PUG Summer Crawl 2019
    By Aqualung in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-04-2019, 22:02
  3. Sheffield Crawl this Saturday
    By Al 10000 in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-04-2014, 15:17
  4. Bourne Pub Crawl 16 July 2011
    By Al 10000 in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-07-2011, 21:33
  5. A Soggy Sheffield Crawl
    By oldboots in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 21:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •