Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheffield Crawl July 2019

Ms CAMRA and I will be in Sheffield on the Thursday night.

No idea where we're going yet but it will involve a restaurant and probably The Head of Steam as Ms CAMRA really likes it.

We'd normally book a table at The Milestone and visit Stew & Oyster and The Harlequin on the way back, but as we're in KI the day afterwards...……….
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 23-06-2019 at 09:08.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I think I've already said that I'll be there Wednesday and return Saturday evening. I'm not up to anything with a lot of walking. As far as the day goes my priorities are to do the Bath Hotel, the Wellington, Bar Stewards and the Shakespeare. I haven't finalised other plans but but Wednesday will be near the hotel, Thursday one or two Thornbridge pubs and ditto Saturday.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    As it is not clear that anyone is interested in the suggestion of arriving in Sheffield on Thursday 11th for a pre-crawl crawl, or staying over until Saturday 13th for a post-crawl crawl, the attached document confines itself to a plan for Friday 12th. Anyone who would like to do an additional crawl on the days either side can contact me via this thread or by a personal message.
    Thanks Will,that gives a good idea of options and a solid list of main targets.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We are still planning on being in Sheffield on the Friday and I have looked at your amazing itinerary. We tend to get to the Gardeners then Kelham Island pubs as easy for Ray, but you never know, we may get to see some of you on your rounds.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

The long awaited reopening of what was once the Old Crown on Scotland Street in Sheffield took place while I was away in the Outer Hebrides (June 6th to be precise) and I called in for my first drink in The Crow Inn this evening. It's just up the hill from Shakespeares and the abominably named Bar Stewards, so I guess that completists will want to check it out when we're all in the area on 12th July.

In other news, fans of Thornbridge beers might be interested to know that the Graze Inn on Ecclesall Road has revamped its bar (according to the local Camra newsletter - I haven't been there myself). According to them, it's now called the Eagle. Here's what the Graze Inn website has to say: https://www.grazeinn.co.uk/drink-1. Nada. Or have I missed something?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I'll be there around noon, until around 5pm.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I have come across lists of pubs having a bit of a do this weekend, and will be enjoying some of them next Friday. Won't be doing the group round Hillsborough as we have been to Hillsborough Hotel, New Barracks Tavern and Rawson Spring JDW before but the Northern Monkey Micro pub would have been new to us.

Better for Ray is the group around Neepsend. Gardeneners Rest we know well, Forest up the road which is the Toolmakers Brewery Tap I have been to once. Don't know Cutlery Works near the Gardeners, Church Temple of Fun across the other side of the river from Gardeners, or Old Workshop down from the Forest which is 10-11 keggy ones and no real ale but 4pm opening, so will likely miss that one out.

The group we know a lot of Wellington, Ship, Riverside, Harlequin, Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Stew & Oyster, Shakespeare, Bar Steward, will be our best for Friday and we can try Pa's Bistro Bar and Crow which are in that area and new to us.

We will be in the Tap around 11 ish I expect, and usually do Gardeners then back over for Kelham area, but hey ho --- Friday looks like being a fun day out, and any we miss, we are booked into Travelodge for the beer fest and may get a few then.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

It's now looking as if I may be in Sheffield on Thursday for work and, if so, I could join in the first half or so of Friday (but I do have to get back to London for a concert in the evening).

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I have come across lists of pubs having a bit of a do this weekend, and will be enjoying some of them next Friday. Won't be doing the group round Hillsborough as we have been to Hillsborough Hotel, New Barracks Tavern and Rawson Spring JDW before but the Northern Monkey Micro pub would have been new to us.
    New to me as well, as I rarely go to Hillsborough. I have added the Northern Monkey, and it turns out there's a Brass Monkey too (which I have also added). I don't know what it is with Monkeys in Sheffield, but there's a Blind Monkey in nearby Walkley, though this one is a conversion (in not very good taste, if anyone's interested in my opinion) of a former slightly down at heel corner boozer.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 04-07-2019 at 00:08.
    Come On You Hatters!

Hope you all have a great day out, I should almost certainly be at the next one, barring the old unforeseen...