Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
I've got a question I'm sure you can answer, I had the impression that Abbeydale had more than just the twos tied houses. Was this once the case? I've been to the Devonshire Cat twice and it had completely passed me by that it was an Abbeydale tied house!
Just the two: https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/directory/. Can't recall if this was ever any different.

I was toying with the idea of getting a bus or train out to Dronfield mainly for the Coach & Horses. I'm beginning to think it may be better going there from Chesterfield or even from a stay in Derby or Nottingham. Any thoughts?.
I've not been to the Coach & Horses, as it's a Thornbridge pub. The 43 bus stops close by and it's on the Sheffield side of Dronfield, so I would guess doing it from Sheffield would be better than Chesterfield. Train from Nottingham (or Derby or Chesterfield) to Dronfield every hour, then 43 bus would do too, if you don't like long bus journeys.

It looks like the Bath House will be my starting point for the main event. My adopted Spoons will be the Bankers Draft as it's close to where I'm staying. The one I'd thought about revisiting is the Francis Newton but it would have to fit in with something else.
Bath Hotel was my local for many years, and in my view Thornbridge have messed it about too much, but if you've not been before, or even if you have, then it's still worth a visit. I've not been to the Francis Newton for three or four years, but it always struck me as a pretty poor pub, but then I never was a great fan of Spoons. The best thing about the Bankers Draft is the back door which leads directly to the Dove and Rainbow. I would have thought The Benjamin Huntsman (JD Wetherspoon) was the best of the town centre Spoons.