Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now that's what I call a proper pub crawl...

This Space For Hire

Th GBR can only look at his records to verify his claim.Does seem a lot to me if using public transport.The guy with the most beer ticks about 8 or 9 years ago announced his 35,000 beer.Some believe him some doubted him.We know when he had his 10,000 th beer so in the next 9 years he had drank 70 new beers a week to get to this figure. Seemed a lot ..When this was pointed out more began to doubt his figures.

This Space For Hire

It is bollloks numbers may be close but not exact. So how you keep an accurate record isn't happening.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 21-04-2019 at 23:51.

£40.00 is closer to a days beer money than a week's in London nowadays.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Th GBR can only look at his records to verify his claim.Does seem a lot to me if using public transport.The guy with the most beer ticks about 8 or 9 years ago announced his 35,000 beer.Some believe him some doubted him.We know when he had his 10,000 th beer so in the next 9 years he had drank 70 new beers a week to get to this figure. Seemed a lot ..When this was pointed out more began to doubt his figures.
    I would imagine that the GBR would need a more accurate source than scruffy notes compiled by his own hand. I can't imagine that on the 6th May 1954 at Oxford's Iffley Road running track that Bannister would have been believed that he had run a sub-four-minute mile just 'cos he said so. The McWhirters (GBR founders) were there to time him.
    I don't think this bloke has visited 50k pubs - the last 50-odd years would have been spent on the road. Perhaps he means that he has been to a pub, 50,000 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    £40.00 is closer to a days beer money than a week's in London nowadays.
    Sadly this is rapidly approaching the truth.

This Space For Hire

If he worked for the railways then free train travel for a period over a year is till death for husband and wife as my Dad and Mum have, I lost my 1st class free travel after uni, not sure what if made redundant happens but obviously once pensionable age you get your free bus pass. A fair few years while employed on railways will have facilitated cheap/free travel around the country within the period of his claim of travelling.

I used to be able to go anywhere for a £1 return in 1st class as a child in the country, shame I hadn't decided to start doing pubs back then.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 22-04-2019 at 22:16.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    If he worked for the railways then free train travel for a period over a year is till death for husband and wife as my Dad and Mum have, I lost my 1st class free travel after uni, not sure what if made redundant happens but obviously once pensionable age you get your free bus pass. A fair few years while employed on railways will have facilitated cheap/free travel around the country within the period of his claim of travelling.

I used to be able to go anywhere for a £1 return in 1st class as a child in the country, shame I hadn't decided to start doing pubs back then.
    Assuming he travelled by rail you can still get around with the cheap advance tickets, although I'm not sure when they were first introduced. More relevantly is the time spent traveling. The main reason I haven't left London is because a day trip to anywhere in England with the exception of Northumberland and Cornwall is viable. I did actually have a day in Carlisle as I didn't think it warranted a stay.

This Space For Hire

Even without quibbling over exact numbers (and possibly his definition of pub - theme park bars??), its quite some achievement. I've only managed to top 1000 new pubs in a year once and that was many years ago when I had vast unvisited areas to cover - much more difficult when trying to 'fill in the gaps'. However the guy was awarded the official GBR record back in 2014, so he must have had reasonable documentation.

I can certainly confirm the helpfulness of free rail travel though...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

"Here he shares 50 of his favourite boozers from his epic tour"
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/893274...bruce-masters/

just 3/50 visited
    Last edited by hondo; 25-04-2019 at 11:48.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post

just 3/50 visited
    On a quick look through I reckon at least 11 - and with plans to visit one more next week.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    15/50 for me. Certainly some good ones there.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement