Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that's what I call a proper pub crawl...

Default Now that's what I call a proper pub crawl...

This Space For Hire

Cask in Manchester is a hidden gem. When I worked for Gazprom around the corner, I'd often have a couple of pints there on Friday lunch with fish and chips from next door. They are too small to do food so allow your own (actively encouraged it, even.)
    Last edited by Spinko; 20-04-2019 at 09:33.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

He definitely deserves an honorary doctorate from the University of Pubs Galore.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    He definitely deserves an honorary doctorate from the University of Pubs Galore.
    But do the numbers stack up? That's an average of 891 pubs per year over a 58 year period and that includes 2 underage years and it says he didn't start in earnest until 1971. Assuming he got around an average of 150 pubs per year for the first 11 years that leaves 50.000 in just over 37 years, an average of over 1300 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    But do the numbers stack up? That's an average of 891 pubs per year over a 58 year period and that includes 2 underage years and it says he didn't start in earnest until 1971. Assuming he got around an average of 150 pubs per year for the first 11 years that leaves 50.000 in just over 37 years, an average of over 1300 a year.
    I don’t think the late Alan Winfield approached anything like that number and he was an heroic drinker, easily in the Oliver Reed class, however it’s in the paper so it must be true, mustn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I don’t think the late Alan Winfield approached anything like that number and he was an heroic drinker, easily in the Oliver Reed class, however it’s in the paper so it must be true, mustn’t it?
    I think Guinness World Records is usually thorough checking claims before they endorse them, and here is certainly on its website from 2014: Most pubs visited

This Space For Hire

Now That's What I Call A Proper Pub Crawl! today, but 35 years from now it'll be called Now That's What I Call A Proper Pub Crawl 102!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes. On the basis of £40 a week on beer and drinking halves, that's 26 pubs per week based on a half costing around £1.50 x 52 = 1,386 pubs per year. However, he'd have to travel progressively further to find new pubs and I don't really know how he could realistically achieve this and inevitably the number would diminish, and that's before you factor in any hurdles to overcome such as work and a family life - I'm not sure I believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I think Guinness World Records is usually thorough checking claims before they endorse them, and here is certainly on its website from 2014: Most pubs visited
    Bruce Masters mails from our Mr Fastard's territory, I think, so I wonder if he knows (or knows of) him?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I agree, normally they are very thorough but how can they check data going back fifty years? The newspaper article shows him with pints and alludes to him having more than one in some venues. There is no definition of a visit. I "visited" the Druid at Goginan but it was closed. I could argue that I had still "visited" it. It says he came from Hertford, so even that isn't all that convenient for the London pubs. The argument about ever more distant pubs is very true and prior to 1988 he would have had to contend with afternoon closing.