Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Yet another Mild recipe, though quite different to the last one. And it's from my favourite, Tetley.

A very wide range of Mild Ales was brewed at the Tetley brewery in Leeds. Despite the brewery being well-known for its East India Pale Ale, the bulk of its trade was in various strengths of Mild.

Second up from bottom of these was what I call X1. In the brewing logs it’s actually an X with a single horizontal line through the middle. As that isn’t a real character and one that doesn’t appear on my computer keyboard, I had to come up with something else.

As well as brewing five basic Milds, Tetley also made the three weakest, X, X1 and X2 in both pale and dark versions. The difference between the two being the quantity of caramel employed., which was ten times greater in the dark version.

There’s not much to the grist, which is just the two base malts and sugar. I’m not sure exactly what the sugar was: it’s described in the records as RC(3). At least that’s what I think it says. The handwriting isn’t great. I haven’t bothered including the caramel in the recipe because the quantities are so tiny: just 14 lbs out of a total of 6,118 lbs.

The hops were a 50-50 split between Worcester and Kent hops, both from the 1903 harvest, the former having been kept in a cold store. The chances are that both were Fuggles or something similar.

1904 Tetley X1 Pale
mild malt 4.50 lb 48.65%
pale malt 2.50 lb 27.03%
No. 1 invert sugar 2.25 lb 24.32%
Fuggles 90 mins 1.25 oz
Fuggles 30 mins 1.25 oz
OG 1047.9
FG 1012.2
ABV 4.72
Apparent attenuation 74.53%
IBU 31
SRM 7
Mash at 150º F
Sparge at 165º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 60º F
Yeast Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale Timothy Taylor

This is one of the dozens of recipes in my book Mild! plus. Which is avaiable in both paperback:

More...