Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: The Most Reviewed Pub on Pubs Galore

Default The Most Reviewed Pub on Pubs Galore

Purely out of interest, I wonder what pub has been reviewed the most on pubs Galore, I noticed The Wellington has 42. Any chance of a top 10 or 20 list Dave?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I thought The Harp, WC2 would be there, or thereabouts. Surprised to read it's only had 27 reviews.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I doubt any pub gets close to the 42 reviews for the Wellington, even if you take account of the fact that some users have reviewed it more than once. The Sheffield Tap has 31 reviews and is the closest I can come up with. The best in London I could find is the Bree Louise with 29 - and that's now been demolished!
    Last edited by Pubsignman; 01-04-2019 at 17:51.

This Space For Hire

It's not actually that good a pub just has a good selection of ale.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    It's not actually that good a pub just has a good selection of ale.
    Now you're venturing into dodgy territory. Lots of people have totally different views of what makes a good pub and for me it's primarily the ale selection and quality, plus preferably no TVs showing Sport. I realise that there are numerous others with completely different views to this and happily accept it. I have tried but still can't get my head around this pub architecture and interior thing!

This Space For Hire

When you put pubs on the map for a varying reason such as we've gone ale mad, I feel a pub looses some of it character which may lead to additional reviews as it becomes a destination pub.

I spent a couple of mental Christmas Eve's in there many years ago before it became what it is now. We should of all been chucked out ~10 of us for dicking around like 18 year olds but if we tried it now we would be due to the changes that have occurred over the years. Salad Cream being sprayed everywhere, pints of mixed drinks/condiments being drunk for dares. Think it was pre smoking ban time as recall a pint with ashtray contents being drunk for a £1 bet etc. They were the days for the Wellington in my eyes when returning to visit friends and family back home in Brum, now I just have to find something drinkable if I go in it on the odd visit. Obviously I'm limited as mainly a lager drinker to choices in it that I want to drink.

Now doing Forest of Dean and regardless of beer choice finding some quality pubs but obviously due to locations never going to get the review total of cities but none the less worth seeking out, although slightly of topic to Mobyduck's query on review numbers I'd say location plays a fair bit in review numbers.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 07-04-2019 at 01:34.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    When you put pubs on the map for a varying reason such as we've gone ale mad, I feel a pub looses some of it character which may lead to additional reviews as it becomes a destination pub.
    Now doing Forest of Dean and regardless of beer choice finding some quality pubs but obviously due to locations never going to get the review total of cities but none the less worth seeking out, although slightly of topic to Mobyduck's query on review numbers I'd say location plays a fair bit in review numbers.
    There is certainly a lot of truth in that location is everything, one of my top pubs visited, The Square and Compass is rightly well revered as a pub and one that hasn't gone "ale mad" though the beer there is very good. It's not the easiest to get to and as a result despite its renown has only nine reviews. I will venture that the same will apply to the current CAMRA Pub Of The Year, not the easiest to get to and languishing on just the two reviews so far.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Worth pointing out that the last winner is also languishing on just a few reviews despite being in an easy to reach urban area with quite a few other good pubs nearby. I guess the expected hordes of CAMRA coach trips to St Helens never materialised!
    Last edited by Brainypool; 07-04-2019 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Worth pointing out that the last winner is also languishing on just a few reviews despite being in an easy to reach urban area with quite a few other good pubs nearby. I guess the expected hoards of CAMRA coach trips to St Helens never materialised!
    It's probably because most people who go to the area concentrate on Liverpool City Centre. I notice that the Connoisseur Ales Tap Room hasn't been added to this site. Given that it's open just one day a MONTH I'll go along with that.
    As for the current CAMRA POTY, I've just had to look up where the place is and I'm not a Northerner!!