Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For list tickers with a copy of the good beer guide

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I wonder just how good is the The National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors? Can they really say only around 300 pubs in the entire UK have historic interiors?
    Here are the criteria for inclusion off the CAMRA website:

"Criteria for Inclusion
    The focus is entirely on interiors and what is authentically old. The pub should retain a reasonable amount of genuinely historic internal fabric and/or sufficient of the layout for the historic plan-form to be appreciated and understood. The emphasis is on pre-1939 interiors, although post-war examples might occasionally be considered if they have particular merit / quality fittings. The interior should be little altered in the past 40 years.

Applying the Criteria
    When considering a pub for inclusion in a Regional Inventory of Historic Pubs Interiors / Real Heritage Pub guide there are two aspects to look at: -

a) Historic plan. Is it largely intact? ** A two room pub that previously had 3 rooms could pass this part of the criteria.

b) Specific features. The greater the amount of original features – like the bar counter, bar-back, wall-tiles, screens, original toilets and so on – the better. If all that survives is a couple of fixed benches and a bit of match-board wall panelling in a largely opened up pub, then inclusion cannot be justified since they are very commonplace items found in large numbers. But add in a largely intact servery and only a slightly opened-up plan and it probably can be. A specific interesting feature or two might justify inclusion, but would have to be of real significance for inclusion of an otherwise wrecked interior."

I would have thought local branches would have sniffed out any interiors worthy of inclusion, but perhaps that is a bit naiive?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I wonder just how good is the The National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors? Can they really say only around 300 pubs in the entire UK have historic interiors?

Or do they mean only CAMRA listed pubs with historic interiors?
    I believe it's only 179 in part one which lists pubs with "interiors which remained very much as they had been before the Second World War", a second part was added for "rooms and features of national importance in otherwise altered pubs". GBG listing or Real Ale are not required for listing.

Can it be true there are none in historic cities such as Portsmouth, Chester or Winchester, and only one each in Southampton, Brighton & Salisbury?
    Portsmouth suffered from the Luftwaffe, post war planners and worst of all Whitbread, I can't think of a suitable interior in Winchester, the Eclipse comes closest but I think it's mainly 1950s/1960s and the Battery Inn would have been but it was demolished years ago. I'm surprised there's one in Southampton - same problems as Pompey, just look at the Crown in Highfield Lane I remember that as unspolit Edwardian including the landlady.

but it all seems a bit under researched at first glance
    Or perhaps the wrecking ball has really swung on all UK pubs
    Six years research by CAMRA and the Victorian Society on Part 1 apparantly. And yes there were lots of wrecking balls in lots of pubs and still are, how many constantly re-themed pubs do you know?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Six years research by CAMRA and the Victorian Society on Part 1 apparantly. And yes there were lots of wrecking balls in lots of pubs and still are, how many constantly re-themed pubs do you know?
    Have to admit I was going to go with naive and then realised that I couldn't think of any pubs that would fit the criteria, and far too many that just got constantly re-themed.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Saying which I have emailed Roger Protz now and tried to outline what I feel the benefits would be. Hopefully if he takes it seriously he can pass me on to the correct person even if he can't deal with it himself.
    I assume you haven't had a reply from Roger. The email address may be out of date if he's moved broadband suppliers. It may be worth trying the CAMRA email address. Either his personal one or the generic one.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi ROB,

Not yet, as you will see just tried the alt address you contributed. We'll see if that gives any joy.

Thanks again.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

We just got a reply off Roger. He has passed it on to someone else who can deal with it.

Very good of him to respond so quickly though, and he didn't just point and laugh, so fingers crossed.

If you did succeed in obtaining the list I'm assuming you would have to go through it and tag each pub on PG manually?

If that's the case you would be just as well to buy a GBG from Amazon for under a tenner with free postage....?

I have a copy, I could do the West Midlands for starters and see how I get on
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Someone says the 2011 GBG is being advertised on Amazon (at £10.39 I believe it was) for delivery early September.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    If you did succeed in obtaining the list I'm assuming you would have to go through it and tag each pub on PG manually?

If that's the case you would be just as well to buy a GBG from Amazon for under a tenner with free postage....?

I have a copy, I could do the West Midlands for starters and see how I get on
    We would have to see how it works. If they gave us an electronic list we could use a matching routine in a similar way to how we have matched Cask Marque and Randomness London Guide. Eventually though I am hoping to distribute more of these sort of responsibilities to the community in the way you suggest, allowing those who wish to be more involved to help and allowing me and Dave to try and keep adding to the site.

The big hurdle is trying to avoid threats of litigation though so the approach to Roger/CAMRA is more about trying to do it in a way that they are happy with, in my approach I have offered a few alternatives that I think would be beneficial for the GBG and the PuG site. Hopefully they will be happy to agree to something or suggest a solution that works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Someone says the 2011 GBG is being advertised on Amazon (at £10.39 I believe it was) for delivery early September.
    You're right! Released on 16th September
    Waes hael!