Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For list tickers with a copy of the good beer guide

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Reminds me a bit of some local Family History societies, they refused to allow parish register items on the internet, even under licence, believing people eould have to buy from them and thus have a steady income stream

How wrong they were, it only took a large commercial organisation to transcribe & do their own research, and the local FHSs lost all hope of any income for ever

Your point about Michelin is a very good example, one would think any town / village etc would be very happy to promote they have a GBG pub or two in their village / town, and GBG would welcome the publicity

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I often start my review with "Visited this Good Beer Guide pub and..........." as that gives a reason why I selected it to visit.

Have never thought of it as treading on someones toes!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well if anyone hears anything new or has any great thoughts on this let me know. For now though I think Gill's approach is probably our soundest, just mention it in your reviews if you know it is true. Hopefully in the future we will allow pubs to add it to their listing as part of a subscription (it may even be true ).

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Well if anyone hears anything new or has any great thoughts on this let me know. For now though I think Gill's approach is probably our soundest, just mention it in your reviews if you know it is true. Hopefully in the future we will allow pubs to add it to their listing as part of a subscription (it may even be true ).
    The GBG does say that you have to have permission to reproduce any of it, it doesn't say you categorically can't.

Conrad, if you want the definitive answer I have Roger Protz's email address (assuming it hasn't changed recently). I will PM it to you if you want.

I had an email discussion with him a while ago about some breweries that had been marked as closed that I discovered were still brewing in a different location.

He was very happy to discuss things, so it might be worth a try.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

That would be really good ROB, at least then I can be constructive rather than just moaning.

As you say got to be worth a try, I genuinely believe it is better for them as well (but I would).

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The GBG does say that you have to have permission to reproduce any of it, it doesn't say you categorically can't.
    I can't find that in my copy of the 2010, however at the bottom of the inside last page under the UK map it says in the conditions of sale;

"No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in retreival systems or transmitted in any form or by any means - electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise - without the prior permission of the Campaign for Real Ale Limited." It still might be worth talking to Roger Protz or Tom Stainer or maybe raising it on the Forum?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The 1 time I used the CAMRA forum it turned into a bit of a mud slinging event, they have a huge advocate over there trying to promote his own web site, with a burning conviction that this is the only way it should be done. Not being a marketeer I just find it all a bit overwhelming and prefer to try and do more personal approaches.

Saying which I have emailed Roger Protz now and tried to outline what I feel the benefits would be. Hopefully if he takes it seriously he can pass me on to the correct person even if he can't deal with it himself.

Besides beer, I think people may also be interested in the pub itself. Such as The National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/home/...linventory.asp
    Waes hael!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Another CAMRA site . Haven't got a reply on my last try yet, if I do though I can follow up on this one.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I wonder just how good is the The National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors? Can they really say only around 300 pubs in the entire UK have historic interiors?

Or do they mean only CAMRA listed pubs with historic interiors?

Can it be true there are none in historic cities such as Portsmouth, Chester or Winchester, and only one each in Southampton, Brighton & Salisbury?

I am not architect or history fiend, but it all seems a bit under researched at first glance

Or perhaps the wrecking ball has really swung on all UK pubs