Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Chepstow

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    958

    Default Chepstow

    Going away next month and staying not far from Chepstow. I would hope to get a couple of hours there at some point so which are the must do's?


    I am a salmon !!

  2. #2
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    I've been doing Chepstow as bridge now free. Not much cop TBH that I've found but I drink lager, still a few to do. But The Five Alls and The Queens Head must be a start. There is also spoons The Bell Hanger (JD Wetherspoon)

    Queens Head Micropub published hours.

    The Queens Head 2.jpg
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 20-03-2019 at 17:23.

  3. #3
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    not visited for years but Coach & Horses Inn was good
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    not visited for years but Coach & Horses Inn was good
    Bland Brains pub when I went the other weekend would be a contender over others in the town.

  5. #5
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Going away next month and staying not far from Chepstow. I would hope to get a couple of hours there at some point so which are the must do's?
    As others have pointed out, like most Welsh towns there isn't much there, When I visited I just went to the JDW as I had to get off to Monmouth. Cardiff and maybe Swansea at a pinch could sustain a PUG crawl but no other Welsh towns or cities. Even Bangor in the North which is a city and a university one is pretty dire, Caernarfon is arguably better but still not that great. If I ever return to Chepstow I'll make sure I get to the micropub.

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Much as I expected - it doesn't look anything special apart from the micro and the spoon's.
    I will do my best to try them all though!! - purely in the interests of research.


    I am a salmon !!

  7. #7
    This Space For Hire Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    As others have pointed out, like most Welsh towns there isn't much there, When I visited I just went to the JDW as I had to get off to Monmouth. Cardiff and maybe Swansea at a pinch could sustain a PUG crawl but no other Welsh towns or cities. Even Bangor in the North which is a city and a university one is pretty dire, Caernarfon is arguably better but still not that great. If I ever return to Chepstow I'll make sure I get to the micropub.
    I have done a decent crawl in Cardiff and Swansea. I also had a reasonable crawl round Aberystwyth and Llandudno as well to be fair - mind you I am not over fussy, I'll take quantity over quality if I have to!


    I am a salmon !!

  8. #8
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I have done a decent crawl in Cardiff and Swansea. I also had a reasonable crawl round Aberystwyth and Llandudno as well to be fair - mind you I am not over fussy, I'll take quantity over quality if I have to!
    Cardiff is actually a much improved city. I noticed two of the main three Brains pubs got fairly lukewarm responses some years ago but I thought they were fine. The Old Arcade now has two distinguished neighbours, a Crazy Devil Brewery "Craft Bar" and a decent Head Of Steam. There's also a new place opposite the JDW Central Bar.

  9. #9
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    If I ever return to Chepstow I'll make sure I get to the micropub.
    I can't yet find it online, but today's 'i' newspaper (as viewed earlier on in paper form in licensed premises) suggests that Chepstow is the happiest place in Wales?

  10. #10
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I can't yet find it online, but today's 'i' newspaper (as viewed earlier on in paper form in licensed premises) suggests that Chepstow is the happiest place in Wales?
    Because it's only a couple of miles from England maybe and also due to toll removals the house prices have rocketed so if you lived there you'd be happy...
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 27-03-2019 at 00:39.

Similar Threads

  1. Castle View Hotel, Chepstow
    By Lady Grey in forum Name changes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2018, 14:45
  2. Chepstow name change.
    By bcfczuluarmy in forum Name changes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2017, 15:42
  3. The Village Inn, Chepstow
    By AlanH in forum Name changes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-08-2015, 10:26
  4. Brockweir Inn, Brockweir, Chepstow.
    By aleandhearty in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-03-2013, 14:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •