Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POW's Beer Festival this weekend

Glass Half Full

Default POW's Beer Festival this weekend

Hi to all, more than a cheeky plug, I'm just trying to get an idea of numbers (and work out if we're going to need to re-supply mid-weekend). If anyone's planning on venturing down to the Prince of Wales in Merton for our first beer festival and hog roast, then I'd appreciate if you could just raise your virtual hand

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Provided I can rustle up a few quid I intend having a nosey. The beer list could be considered unadventurous but, I s'pose for a Youngs House it could be equally regarded as radical, with Darkstar & Brewdog being the key attractions. You may want to correct the spelling of Sambrooks on the pow website...

Sambrooks Junction (4.5%), Sambrooks Wandle (3.8%), Brains SA (4.2%), Chiltern Cobblestones (3.5%), Darkstar Solstice (4.2%), Darkstar Espresso (4.2%), Cotleigh Harrier (3.5%), St Austell Tribute, Youngs Waggledance, Courage Directors, Youngs Special, Youngs Bitter, Brewdog Physics (5%), Jorvik Blonde (3.8%).

For any others tempted, but not knowing that area, a visit could be twinned with the nearby Trafalgar &/or Sultan.

Glass Half Full

I'll get on the website as soon as I'm on my PC, cheers for that.

As you say - remember we're a tied Youngs tenancy - imagine how much grovelling I had to do to get this far I also came across two breweries who weren't interested in supplying us, and a couple more that didn't even bother replying - which I found bizzare.

If it's a success, we'll be looking at doubling beer numbers next year, and without a refurbishment being stuffed in between, I'll have more time to build a more structured list looking at all areas of the country

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I'll also try and get over for a couple of hours at some point.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Sadly, the Brewdog Physics was off. Compounded by the Aussie(?) guy in the carpark tent saying that 'the boss' had just tried some and said it was fine. It clearly (or, rather, muddily) was not. He then went outside to radio through what he called 'another complaint about the Physics' - audible in the tent where a radio receiver was open, hehehe. It was changed for summat else, no problem.
    The music in the garden could have been deemed, by some, to be murderous to several classics, but I thought they did pretty well. Time to move on for the football though... No, I can't believe germany spanked the argies 4-0!

Glass Half Full

Physics has been a nightmare all weekend - drifting in and out of conciousness! Not sure where people got the idea from that I'd been testing it - it's not fizzy enough for my liking, but when we start the postmortem, I dare say we'll not be getting it back for the next one.

Glad you liked the music - would be interested to see if anyone found it "murderous" - they're exactly the sort of muso-types that I like to book - I'll keep people posted with when they're back at the POW.. For any other landlords out there, take a look, they used our house PA, came down on the tube, and were very reasonably priced - the video isn't from the beer festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR5shh2v3TY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9KVx7ul78

Glass Half Full

PS.. he's a Kiwi - apparently they walk differently.

I thought the duo were ok in the main, however covers of Pink Floyd tracks rarely work in my opinion!

Glad to see the refurb has worked well, and the pub character remains intact. Unlike the sheer vandalism the Youngs/Wells team have visited on some places.

Hope the festival went well for yourself and it is something you can repeat.

Glass Half Full

Cheers - From a fiscal point of view, it's covered itself and made a bit.. From a brewery point of view, I reckon they'll let us do it again, but from a personal point of view, even with seven staff on at times, I feel physically and mentally exhausted - I need to work out whether the praise outweighed the non-constructive criticism that has readily been offered - The number of people who seem to think that there's only four flavours of beer, and anything outside of the four flavours constitutes "turned", or anything that isn't crystal clear is "off" amazes me.. In the mean-time, I'm going to spend the next six months concentrating on our core beer range - keeping it decent, and getting us back in the GBG for next year.

I thought it was a good do, however the Brewdog certainly wasn't saleable if that's what you mean. I haven't seen any "non-constructive criticism" on here to be fair,good luck to you, and I hope you can repeat this sometime soon.