Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Micropub Definitions

The SE London micropubs are much more reasonably priced than the West London ones especially if they do CAMRA discount. I went to a former CAMRA POTY in St Helens this week and was only paying pennies more than the JDW opposite Lime Street Station. The RJB JDW is £2.49 a pint which is 40p a pint dearer than the two E11 ones and the Cricketers was £2.60 and £2.70 including 20p CAMRA discount. I don't see the point in wasting money on overpriced London pubs most of which are rubbish anyway.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 08-06-2019 at 20:51. Reason: It's 40p cheaper in E11!

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The SE London micropubs are much more reasonably priced than the West London ones especially if they do CAMRA discount. I went to a former CAMRA POTY in St Helens this week and was only paying pennies more than the JDW opposite Lime Street Station. The RJB JDW is £2.49 a pint which is 30p a pint dearer than the two E11 ones and the Cricketers was £2.60 and £2.70 including 20p CAMRA discount. I don't see the point in wasting money on overpriced London pubs most of which are rubbish anyway.
    There is also the Spoons-like Amber Taverns chain who are increasingly beating JDWs on price and atmosphere. Also northern community pub operator Bravo Inns still keeps real ale at £2 a pint in many of its pubs. I don’t think they have been mentioned on here before.

This Space For Hire

The SE London micropubs are much more reasonably priced than the West London ones especially if they do CAMRA discount. I went to a former CAMRA POTY in St Helens this week and was only paying pennies more than the JDW opposite Lime Street Station. The RJB JDW is £2.49 a pint which is 30p a pint dearer than the two E11 ones and the Cricketers was £2.60 and £2.70 including 20p CAMRA discount. I don't see the point in wasting money on overpriced London pubs most of which are rubbish anyway.
    Add your train fare and it would be cheaper drinking in London rubbish pubs.
    We may pay more for beer in London but by and large we get paid better wages so it evens out.Pensioners obviously get no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    There is also the Spoons-like Amber Taverns chain who are increasingly beating JDWs on price and atmosphere.
    In my experience they sell crap beer from the Marston stable At least if the beer choice in a JDW is crap which it often is there are affordable other options.

As for atmosphere, the one in Macclesfield had TVs everywhere showing sport with the sound on. This is NOT a pub atmosphere and never has been. You might just as well visit someone's house rather than go to places like this.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Add your train fare and it would be cheaper drinking in London rubbish pubs.
    We may pay more for beer in London but by and large we get paid better wages so it evens out.Pensioners obviously get no benefit.
    This isn't true if you exclude JDW. With an advance fare of £5.60 EW to Wolverhampton I can easily save the train fare over favoured London suburb pubs and if it's West or Inner London I'm in pocket. It's more of a motivation that most London pubs are complete rubbish. The trouble is that my knees are shot to pieces so day trips have become just too difficult.

In my experience they sell crap beer from the Marston stable At least if the beer choice in a JDW is crap which it often is there are affordable other options.
    I don’t think this is true? Though perhaps they are more variable than I thought. The one in Wigan is known for actually selling more local beers than the Spoons up the road and similar in Lancaster where they had a healthy relationship with Cross Bay and Lancaster.

Generally agree about the sport but personally I often prefer TV at an acceptable volume to the awkward and stuffy atmosphere you can get in some real ale or micropubs. It’s each to their own on that I suppose.

It’s each to their own on that I suppose.
    Exactly! It would be really boring if all micro-pubs (or pubs generally) were similar - even if that happened to coincide with one's personal taste - and you can't truly appreciate a gem unless you also encounter some manure on route...

The Taps On The Green, formerly Cross Keys in Carnforth is being cut in half and converted to a micropub. According to the locals it is being boycotted by the council estate it serves after announcing it is removing the TV and not selling lager!

Just Missed the Round

The Taps On The Green, formerly Cross Keys in Carnforth is being cut in half and converted to a micropub. According to the locals it is being boycotted by the council estate it serves after announcing it is removing the TV and not selling lager!
    I'm sure the new owners will be breathing a sigh of relief.

Bumping this one as I've just subbed reviews for The Blue Boar and The Tap & Barrel

Both are proclaimed as micropubs in most quarters.

The Blue Boar certainly doesn't strike me as a micro in any meaningful way beyond it being an independent cask outlet. It's about as micropub as the Euston Tap.

The Tap & Barrel is at least in a converted modern unit but is fairly pubby with piped music, a wine list and child-friendly.

I'm not proposing we scrap the micropub flag or list because I can't be arsed with that argument but I do wonder whether the term is now so vague as to be useless.