Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Micropub Definitions

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Strange, as it opened six months ago. I've added it just now.

I've been meaning to do Melton Mowbray, so I may just go there tomorrow. Or (checking the time) today.
    Well done for adding that, it is surprising it got overlooked for so long and I include myself in the blame for that! I quite liked MM so may return there especially as the Gas Tap was closed when I visited some time ago. It would be very boring if we all liked the same things equally!
    I was surprised to find myself enjoying a lengthy stop in a Brewdog this week. I was with a shareholder so got 10% discount and they also do a 15% daytime discount which meant the prices were roughly the norm for Scotland (JDW excluded!). The beer quality in the CAMRA recommended place was quite honestly pretty poor.

And a comment here from Boak & Bailey

https://twitter.com/BoakandBailey/st...34392758743041

(in Tewkesbury I believe, The Cross House Tavern)

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ...which I did yesterday.

The Anne Of Cleves was lovely, though the BGM was distracting. BeerHeadZ was disappointing, perhaps showing what happens when you start a chain rather than the hands on approach of the true micropub. The Half Moon was on the poor side of average, The Crown distinctly better. I liked The Noel's Arms, though I'm not sure I could stand all the black paint if I was here for a longer visit. The other micro, The Gas Tap, was only so-so. My final pub of the day, The Boat Inn, was only a brief visit with a train to catch, but would have liked to have stayed longer.
    The Noels Arms was closed the day we were there too, which was a Saturday and it was supposed to open at 12pm. We did another check on the way back to the station and no sign of any life at all in the place. Agree the micro was only so-so
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was surprised to find myself enjoying a lengthy stop in a Brewdog this week.
    Wow, not a thing you hear every day.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Wow, not a thing you hear every day.
    With the two discounts the Jet Black Heart Stout came to around £3.67. None of the beer seemed very cold or gassy although there was some murk. It also helped that I was served all pints and bone of that 2/3rd of a pint nonsense. The guests were all Northern Monk but I preferred Brewdog overall, Indi Pale excepted which is a bog standard pedestrian pale. It was the Perth one which is only the size of a larger micropub and much better than the Cardiff one. The Green Room which is the local CAMRA POTY was horrible in comparison.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    I find them a bit hit and miss. If you can find something to latch on to straight away they can brilliant but sometimes they can be a bit awkward (especially when silent). And when it's awkward it's not really comfortable to keep yourself hidden. I usually resort to browsing the provided CAMRA magazine and moving on as swiftly as possible.
    Agree with you.Have left a couple of times even though there were a few beers I wanted to try.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I find micropubs very uncomfortable when they have few customers in them.No music,no atmosphere and everyone can hear your conversation that's if a conversation can get started.
    And you get the "we don't like tossers who look at their phone" brigade. Best bet is to go outside if that's possible, and leave them to be all judgy about people who look at their phone (almost) out of earshot. That's if they're not having some ugly brexit related conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    And you get the "we don't like tossers who look at their phone" brigade.
    Moi?????

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Moi?????
    Present company excepted.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I find micropubs very uncomfortable when they have few customers in them.No music,no atmosphere and everyone can hear your conversation that's if a conversation can get started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    I find them a bit hit and miss. If you can find something to latch on to straight away they can brilliant but sometimes they can be a bit awkward (especially when silent). And when it's awkward it's not really comfortable to keep yourself hidden. I usually resort to browsing the provided CAMRA magazine and moving on as swiftly as possible.
    Oh, I'm glad I am not alone in this! I think you have to be a regular in a micro pub to feel properly at home. I love the idea behind them and they usually do well looked after real ale for a sensible price, but sometimes I'm an antisocial bugger and just want a drink in a quiet corner in peace without standing out like a sore thumb.