Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Micropub Definitions

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Their website names Overdraft Southampton on their list of Micropubs despite the dual turntables. The above is a simple and fair rule but is not always adhered to it seems.
    That one is only the tip of a large iceberg. Many micropubs have TVs or music playing, Often the TVs are just for major sporting events rather than Sky or BT Sports (I doubt that any micropub would fork out for the subscription) but last week caught part of an episode of Countdown. Most micropubs do boxed ciders as well as cask ale and that doesn't get a mention. Many do cans and bottles to drink on site or take away and many also do some spirits, typically speciality gins. One Midlands micropub that is a GBG regular does a range of mainstream spirits which struck me as not being in line with the micropub ethos.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    This is from the "Micropubs in the UK" Facebook group-

Micropubs included in this group should follow the original Micropub Association concept

A micropub by the original definition is “A micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers, mainly serves cask ales, promotes conversation, shuns all forms of electronic entertainment and dabbles in traditional pub snacks”

They have the same debate on what is or isn't on there too.

It says "mainly cask ale" - that suggests to me that they can sell other drinks including keg and spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    From the Micropub Association website:

What is a micropub?

‘A Micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers, mainly serves cask ales, promotes conversation, shuns all forms of electronic entertainment and dabbles in traditional pub snacks’.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    That one is only the tip of a large iceberg. Many micropubs have TVs or music playing, Often the TVs are just for major sporting events rather than Sky or BT Sports (I doubt that any micropub would fork out for the subscription) but last week caught part of an episode of Countdown. Most micropubs do boxed ciders as well as cask ale and that doesn't get a mention. Many do cans and bottles to drink on site or take away and many also do some spirits, typically speciality gins. One Midlands micropub that is a GBG regular does a range of mainstream spirits which struck me as not being in line with the micropub ethos.
    Which bit of the definition are they falling foul of? Where does it say in the definition quoted above that mainstream spirits are not allowed?

I'd have thought the most difficult part of the "ethos" to maintain would be dabbling in traditional pub snacks. What on earth does that mean?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Which bit of the definition are they falling foul of? Where does it say in the definition quoted above that mainstream spirits are not allowed?

I'd have thought the most difficult part of the "ethos" to maintain would be dabbling in traditional pub snacks. What on earth does that mean?
    We need to define tradition.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    We need to define tradition.
    ... and "dabbling". And "snacks". Probably "pub" too.
    Come On You Hatters!

... and "dabbling". And "snacks". Probably "pub" too.
    Quite, and "dancing on the head of a pin" too!

It doesn't say anything but the Micropub Association definition doesn't really say much at all. The vast majority of micropubs that sell keg or spirits go for non mainstream products so it's against the spirit of micropubs generally.

I'd have thought the most difficult part of the "ethos" to maintain would be dabbling in traditional pub snacks.
    I think what he's getting at is that they don't do meals. One of the Hinckley ones has a microwave and they have curry nights where regulars bring in their own curry creations and the winner presumably gets some sort of prize. Having a full blown menu would be beyond the scope of every micropub I've been to.

This Space For Hire

The owner of the Kentish Belle says he is one of only 2 micropubs in his area as the Rusty Bucket supposed micropub is not one as it was previously a pub .Micropubs must be from previously non licenced premises.

The vast majority of micropubs that sell keg or spirits go for non mainstream products so it's against the spirit of micropubs generally.
    But this "spirit of micropubs generally" is not expressed anywhere, with the possible exception of in your head. I tend to agree that it would be nice to have micropubs fall into a category of "real ale only" pubs, where the only deviations from the norm are real cider; locally produced and organic spirits; oh, and pork scratchings, but (apart from my vegetarian objections to the skin of dead pigs), I would suggest that this would not be a realistic business model in a time when people who don't like (or are unfamiliar with the delights of) real ale are likely to be (facing a choice about) going to the pub along with people who do.

Having a full blown menu would be beyond the scope of every micropub I've been to.
    This is presumably what is meant by "dabbling", but as previously stated, I challenge anyone to define "dabbling" in this context.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The owner of the Kentish Belle says he is one of only 2 micropubs in his area as the Rusty Bucket supposed micropub is not one as it was previously a pub .Micropubs must be from previously non licenced premises.
    Again, the definition provided by the Micropub Association doesn't mention this criterion. It's like the "no mainstream spirits [or lager]" ethos that some people would like to be part of the definition. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but if we've got a "micropub yes/no" tick box on the site, shouldn't we have a definition (not necessarily the definition of the Micropub Association, but something justifiably close to it) to work with? If that's too difficult, perhaps the tick box should be linked directly to the Micropub Association list, so that they can take the flak.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I've been to both and the Kentish Belle is one of several micropubs in the Borough Of Bexley while the Rusty Bucket is in Eltham SE9 and is in the Borough of Greenwich. The Rusty Bucket is run along similar lines to a micropub but calls itself a bar. It's a shop conversion that was previously owned by Greene King so I can't see how that precludes it. Going by that argument any one that changes owner can no longer be deemed as a micropub which is nonsense. If the Rusty Bucket said micropub on the window or pub sign I would have marked it as a micropub. The Rusty Bucket is well worth a visit and is also close to the smallest JDW in the world.