Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Micropub Definitions

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    a CAMRA point of view viz real ale.
    Are CAMRA now embracing the VIZ heroes?

First one I found...
    RATs march onward..!!!RATs.jpg
    Last edited by trainman; 14-02-2019 at 18:46.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I suspect it was and at least this gave me a good laugh over this thorny subject.

I know what a "proper" micropub is and here are my guidelines :-

It should just sell real ale, optionally real cider and wines, soft drinks including tea and coffee, no keg and no spirits. The size of the place is completely irrelevant. There should be no music other than live acoustic, no TV, and no jukeboxes or other electronic machines.
    Sounds like all typical pubs pre-1900, though I've seen some period pub photos from around this time which show Tennent's lager advertised, and one from 1890 advertising Löwenbräu!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Are CAMRA now embracing the VIZ heroes?

First one I found...
    RATs march onward..!!!RATs.jpg
    LOL! 'Casketeers'... 'Cascophiles'... 'Owld Scoutmaster's Downright Peculiar'. I haven't seen a copy of Viz for over 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Was it Mary Whitehouse who said she couldn't define filth but knew it when she saw it?
    While on the subject of VIZ it's pretty obvious where the inspiration for Mrs Brady came from!

This Space For Hire

There is a new micropub or maybe not a micropub opening New Cross tomorrow.The Ale Bar.
    They have disqualified themselves by calling it a microbar.
    says Real ale and Gin Microbar and performance space. Is this a new category?
    They also have a scenic model railway that runs around the bar.Hopefully at high level.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    There is a new micropub or maybe not a micropub opening New Cross tomorrow.The Ale Bar.
    They also have a scenic model railway that runs around the bar.Hopefully at high level.
    Is the model railway an electronic device? Not really, some micropubs have turntables for playing vinyl records. As far as I'm concerned it all depends on what else they do. The performance space bit would likely exclude it but as they don't claim to be a micropub it doesn't really matter.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    At the end of the London Micropubs feature in the Yet Another List thread are some described as "Not Micropubs but definitely Microbars"!

Hell's teeth - where will it all end?
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I suspect it was and at least this gave me a good laugh over this thorny subject.

I know what a "proper" micropub is and here are my guidelines :-

It should just sell real ale, optionally real cider and wines, soft drinks including tea and coffee, no keg and no spirits. The size of the place is completely irrelevant. There should be no music other than live acoustic, no TV, and no jukeboxes or other electronic machines.

There are plenty of these places around and then we come to the rest.

Many places break one or more of these rules, the most common being selling a selection of spirits (usually obscure gins). Other ones have included a few crafty offerings or maybe a non mainstream lager. You'll also find TVs in some or music systems. I went to one in Standish last week that had a TV on but it was showing Countdown! I had a long stay in Wigan Central last week which is one of the original ones on the Micropub Association list and while it's a great place it's really a small pub rather than a micropub as music was playing the whole time I was there and several people were drinking lager. The best example of all this grief is the Gypsy Rover in Redcar which says it's a micropub on the window but inside they have some mainstream keg products, a large TV screen and live music several nights of the week.

The only suggestion I can come up with is that any new venue that has no cask ale at all or regular live amplified music or a permanently in use TV with BT Sports and / or Sky Sports isn't a micropub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    At the end of the London Micropubs feature in the Yet Another List thread are some described as "Not Micropubs but definitely Microbars"!

Hell's teeth - where will it all end?
    Unless there are hard and fast rules set down by a governing body such as the way CAMRA defined Real Ale, though that definition seems to be getting fuzzier as time goes on,there will be no clear cut idea of what is or not a micropub as its down to personal thoughts. I agree with much of Aqualungs rules, but have no problem with keg alongside cask and in this case I think size does matter to a point.
    For what its worth I consider the two Overdrafts from the first post on this thread to be Craft Bars as opposed to micropubs, I don't suppose it really matters what a pubs handle is as long as you enjoy it (or not).
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default This works for me (on a "you'll know it when you see it" basis)

From the Micropub Association website:

What is a micropub?

‘A Micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers, mainly serves cask ales, promotes conversation, shuns all forms of electronic entertainment and dabbles in traditional pub snacks’.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    From the Micropub Association website:

What is a micropub?

‘A Micropub is a small freehouse which listens to its customers, mainly serves cask ales, promotes conversation, shuns all forms of electronic entertainment and dabbles in traditional pub snacks’.
    By saying mainly cask ales, it suggests a micropub can serve whatever else it likes drinkwise, It also "shuns all forms of electronic entertainment" yet on their website names Overdraft Southampton on their list of Micropubs despite the dual turntables. The above is a simple and fair rule but is not always adhered to it seems.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    By saying mainly cask ales, it suggests a micropub can serve whatever else it likes drinkwise
    ??? And why not ???