Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Micropub Definitions

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    "The call to the bar is a legal term of art in most common law jurisdictions where persons must be qualified to be allowed to argue in court on behalf of another party and are then said to have been "called to the bar" or to have received a "call to the bar". "The bar" is now used as a collective noun for barristers, but literally referred to the wooden barrier in old courtrooms, which separated the often crowded public area at the rear from the space near the judges reserved for those having business with the Court. Barristers would sit or stand immediately behind it, facing the judge, and could use it as a table for their briefs." (Wikipedia)
    When I was doing my law degree, we were told that pupils would learn the law from their pupil masters at the bar prior to the formalising of legal exams and over a flagon of mead; there may be a shared etymology as some sources claim that 'bar' is derived from an old word for 'room'.
    My main point though is that the term 'bar' dates back to at least the 19th century as can be evinced by the number of extant etched glass windows bearing the legends Saloon Bar/Private Bar. Using the term 'bar' as part of UK establishments is a more modern - probably American - affectation though we can rely on our traditional pub names, derived in part due to former levels of illiteracy. Sadly so many of these names are being erased.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Real Ale : despite the misleading name - it seems to sell keg only - I don't know if this should be listed as a Micro.
    They are opening another Real Ale in the Golborne rd.Larger premises so micropub extra? Or plus size micropub?

This Space For Hire

When I was doing my law degree, we were told that pupils would learn the law from their pupil masters at the bar prior to the formalising of legal exams and over a flagon of mead; there may be a shared etymology as some sources claim that 'bar' is derived from an old word for 'room'.
    My main point though is that the term 'bar' dates back to at least the 19th century as can be evinced by the number of extant etched glass windows bearing the legends Saloon Bar/Private Bar. Using the term 'bar' as part of UK establishments is a more modern - probably American - affectation though we can rely on our traditional pub names, derived in part due to former levels of illiteracy. Sadly so many of these names are being erased.
    As Tommy Cooper use to say.Man walks into a bar.Goes ouch.It was an iron bar.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    They are opening another Real Ale in the Golborne rd.Larger premises so micropub extra? Or plus size micropub?
    The original Real Ale is an off licence in Richmond.They only sold bottle conditioned real ales although I did point out to them the FOREIGN MUCK wasn't bottle conditioned .They made allowances for them apparently.

Mini-Pub would be the next logical size up and of course nano-Pub the next size down, possibly this one would qualify as a nano-Pub Boatmans Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Mini-Pub would be the next logical size up and of course nano-Pub the next size down, possibly this one would qualify as a nano-Pub Boatmans Tavern
    One in one out?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    One in one out?
    I don't think you can actually go inside, so possibly it's a pico-Pub but not quite small enough to be a femto-Pub

Last edited by oldboots; 21-02-2019 at 17:01.

It’s a bit like ships and boats - a pub can contain several bars, but not vice versa?

This Space For Hire

There is a new micropub or maybe not a micropub opening New Cross tomorrow.The Ale Bar.
    They have disqualified themselves by calling it a microbar.
    says Real ale and Gin Microbar and performance space. Is this a new category?
    They also have a scenic model railway that runs around the bar.Hopefully at high level.
    Was in the Ale Bar last night.Not a micropub even if the owner thinks it is.

Was in the Ale Bar last night.Not a micropub even if the owner thinks it is.
    I've looked at their website and added the What Pub link. It sounds like it's a theatre microbar (rather like the E17 Rose & Crown is a theatre pub). It doesn't sound like a micropub to me so what are your reasons for saying it isn't? I'd still love to visit it if only to see their model railway layout but the late opening is a pain. Maybe I could spend an afternoon in a JDW and then get a bus there.