Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Micropub Definitions

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've looked at their website and added the What Pub link. It sounds like it's a theatre microbar (rather like the E17 Rose & Crown is a theatre pub). It doesn't sound like a micropub to me so what are your reasons for saying it isn't? I'd still love to visit it if only to see their model railway layout but the late opening is a pain. Maybe I could spend an afternoon in a JDW and then get a bus there.
    Just a bar in the basement of a theatre.Pathetic little railway on a table and only half of it working.Very disappointing but 4 beers on at £4 a pint and very good were the two I tried.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Good read ,thanks hondo.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I notice the Melton Mowbray outlet hasn't been added unless it's awaiting approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I notice the Melton Mowbray outlet hasn't been added unless it's awaiting approval.
    Strange, as it opened six months ago. I've added it just now.

I've been meaning to do Melton Mowbray, so I may just go there tomorrow. Or (checking the time) today.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've been meaning to do Melton Mowbray, so I may just go there tomorrow. Or (checking the time) today.
    ...which I did yesterday.

The Anne Of Cleves was lovely, though the BGM was distracting. BeerHeadZ was disappointing, perhaps showing what happens when you start a chain rather than the hands on approach of the true micropub. The Half Moon was on the poor side of average, The Crown distinctly better. I liked The Noel's Arms, though I'm not sure I could stand all the black paint if I was here for a longer visit. The other micro, The Gas Tap, was only so-so. My final pub of the day, The Boat Inn, was only a brief visit with a train to catch, but would have liked to have stayed longer.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 23-05-2019 at 14:50.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    BeerHeadZ[/URL] was disappointing, perhaps showing what happens when you start a chain rather than the hands on approach of the true micropub.
    Don't think I've done a BeerHeadz venue , but I make you right Will, Although the Micro pub definition seems to becoming more blurred with time, I think they were intended to be and should be, based on individuality, Chains (although possible - Antic), are not likely to have that difference.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 23-05-2019 at 20:10.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Although the Micro pub definition seems to becoming more blurred with time, I think they were intended to be and should be, based on individuality, Chains (although possible - Antic), are not likely to have that difference.
    Thanks for that Mick. It particularly struck me on the day that Jamie Oliver's chain of Italian retaurants went into administration. His intention when starting the venture may well have been good: use the best ingredients, employ the best staff, pay them well, give customers a great experience. Works a treat. But you need to keep an eye on the business. Two restaurants? OK. Three? Stretching yourself a bit thin - it means you have to start thinking about employing someone you trust to make sure everyone is pulling their weight - any slackers in just one branch tends to detract from the perceived value of the whole enterprise. (There's a chain of three pubs in Sheffield which is still pretty much run by one guy and his wife and it's just about ok - but there's a lot goes on that he is not on top of.) I think BeerHeadZ is at that stage. How much time do the owners, nice guys no doubt, actually spend in the pubs in Melton and Lincoln?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I find micropubs very uncomfortable when they have few customers in them.No music,no atmosphere and everyone can hear your conversation that's if a conversation can get started.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

I find them a bit hit and miss. If you can find something to latch on to straight away they can brilliant but sometimes they can be a bit awkward (especially when silent). And when it's awkward it's not really comfortable to keep yourself hidden. I usually resort to browsing the provided CAMRA magazine and moving on as swiftly as possible.