Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: boring brown bitter

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation which now makes perfect sense.

Perhaps CAMRA should stop classifying it as real ale - maybe we should list a pub as having no real ale if Doom Bar is the only option but only if there are no other pumps, rather than pumps with recently reversed clips?
    To be honest most of the big brewers are doing this now.I get bottled Fullers beers and they are clear as a bell.No sediment but meant to be bottle conditioned

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    As far as I am aware Sharps with Doombar were the first cask brewer to start filtering their beer although Camra still calls it real ale.One of the reasons it has dominated the cask trade was that it was bright beer and you could put a keg on straight away rather than let it settle.Sharps were the first brewery to realise that if the beer was not ready the pub would put something else on and Doombar would not be sold from that pump for 3 days or how long it would take for a pump to be free.By selling bright beer any pub now changes Doombar for another Doombar.Great marketing makes brands leaders .
    Nearly but not absolutely correct. While there is brewery conditioning, it is not absolute and a small amount of live yeast remains, so it is not totally 'bright'. (If there was a bright beer campaign, they would probably reject it!). Presumably this is enough to continue some secondary fermentation and prolong the life of the cask beyond that you would expect from a totally bright beer. CAMRA accepts that some filtering is acceptable - whether DB takes this too far is a whole other can of worms.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Nearly but not absolutely correct. While there is brewery conditioning, it is not absolute and a small amount of live yeast remains, so it is not totally 'bright'. (If there was a bright beer campaign, they would probably reject it!). Presumably this is enough to continue some secondary fermentation and prolong the life of the cask beyond that you would expect from a totally bright beer. CAMRA accepts that some filtering is acceptable - whether DB takes this too far is a whole other can of worms.
    I think I'd prefer to drink the can of worms...

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I think I'd prefer to drink the can of worms...
    Can't disagree.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A pint of Cloudwater Aw18 Bitter over the weekend was fantastic, If all Best Bitters were brewed to this standard there would be no such thing as BBB's, cask at its very best.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    On my sole visit to Manchester in the 1970s,the unanimous verdict on Holt's bitter is that it made grown men weep,being so bitter.Can't remember the colour though. Never seen it since.
    With Holts Bitter, the only thing that made me weep is when I couldn't get any! Probably my overall favourite for 50 years. I now weep most of the time in Wales but I am delighted when one of my locals The Ponsonby Arms gets it as a guest. On our recent crawl to Manchester, it was one of the best beers of the day in The Hare & Hounds.

Not in the same class as Holts Bitter, but I find the much criticised Sam Smiths Bitter very good in Chester in both The Falcon and Ye Olde Boot Inn. A good £2 well spent in both pubs. That is for a FULL pint in spite of "uncle Humphrey's" rules.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    With Holts Bitter, the only thing that made me weep is when I couldn't get any!

the much criticised Sam Smiths Bitter
    Never see Holts in the Southeast, and rarely Sam's, though more often than when in Yorkshire.Really enjoyed it in Durham in the 1970s in Colpitts Hotel , and in a pub opposite the Tech in Framwellgate Moor. (Can't remember its name.)
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.